1950s | Dresses

Belle of the Ball

By on September 16, 2012

This weekend, my dance club had their annual ball, and the theme was animated characters. Of course, I had to go as a Disney princess, and decided on Belle from “Beauty and the Beast” since her colouring is most similar to mine! However, I’ve never been a fan of her iconic yellow ballgown, so I decided to recreate her everyday outfit:

Screenshot from YouTube, click for clip

I made the dress and apron, but the blouse was just something I already had. Unfortunately I was running late so didn’t get too many pictures!!

Here are the facts:

Fabric: 2 second hand bed sheets (~$1)
Pattern: Dress pattern 8736 from March 1956 Australian Home Journal. No pattern for apron.
Features: The dress has back, waist and bust darts, a round neckline, a gathered skirt and a side zip. The apron is simply a gathered piece on a waistband.
Alterations: The dress pattern was for a 36″ bust. I cut it out without adding seam allowances, but added around an inch to the bodice, and cut the straps super long, so I could adjust them before sewing to the right length. I sewed the straps together instead of making the button closure. I ended up taking in the side seams about 2 inches at the bust, tapering to an inch at the waist.
Notions: 1 zipper (~10c)
Total price: ~$1.10

Yes, I am wearing slippers……

More on my blog!

Continue Reading

1970s | Dresses

The “Drive Me Dotty” Dress

By on August 31, 2012

I recently finished this dress from a 1970’s pattern and some vintage fabric, after starting it MONTHS ago! I’m happy it’s finally done!!

I even managed to get some photos of it on me! Here’s what you need to know:

 

Fabric: Some sort of slinky synthetic, from an op-shop in Canberra ($4.50)

Pattern: Butterick 6730 from the 1970’s, View B (50c)

Features: Faux-wrap front, gathers at shoulder seams, elastic waist, and, most importantly, pockets!

Alterations: I chopped off about 6 inches from the skirt length. Next time, I’d add a couple inches to the bodice length.

Notions: Elastic for the waist (cut from an old fitted sheet!)

Total price: $5.00

 

Overall I’m pretty happy. It is not perfect! The fabric is static-y and cling-y, the gathering on the shoulders is not even, and the bodice is a bit short, so every time I lift my arms up the elastic waist jumps up onto my ribcage, and I’m forever pulling it down again. I’m happy with the pattern though, it is a very simple dress to make, with no closures, and the wrap part doesn’t even gape! (Maybe because of the shortness of the bodice though!!)

More on my blog!

Continue Reading

1950s | Vintage Sewing

Australian Home Journal

By on August 27, 2012

I have recently started collecting Australian Home Journal magazines, which contain some great vintage patterns and inspiration! Today I posted the August, 1950 issue on my blog. Here are some of the images of fashions from the issue:

I even had some fun imagining how the patterns from the cover might look if I made them up! Hopefully there will be a finished project from one of these patterns to post sometime in the future!

 

Continue Reading