Always Alice

I made this a couple days ago as a birthday present for a little girl in my son’s class and it’s from fabulous 1952. the only things I changed was to bag line the apron instead of using like 7 yards of bias binding and I added a button tab instead of neck ties. The bag lining is much faster to sew and adds that little bit more protection in case she dumps a ton of paint on herself.

I loaded the pockets with art supplies and I think she is just going to love it.

{ 2 comments }

Hi all! I’m hoping someone has a miracle cure today. I found some amazing wool pieces at an estate sale. Each piece is big enough for a coat or jacket. That blue one will be a 1941 Vogue swing coat with big round shawl collar. All the fabric in the pictures was $2. I was a machine, I didn’t stop till I stuffed that $2 box with every piece of wool I could find. Anyway, it smells, badly. Like a garage smell mixed with musty house and Goodwill. I aired them out yesterday with no luck.

While it was airing on the deck a gigantic storm popped up (like they do in western NY) and they got a tad wet before I could run them inside. Not soggy, just like sprinkled on. Wow, the smell only intensified and it made the garage reek.

Soooooo, what’s the best way to get the stink out of these large pieces of wool? I was thinking of using woollike in my washer on the wool cycle and then fluffing them in the dryer with zero heat or hanging them back out on the deck. I’m terrified of felting them on accident.

As an experiment I sprayed pet odor neutralizer on the small green scraps. So far it still smells like feet and sweaty kid.

{ 21 comments }

I don’t grade patterns as a general rule. If I can just add a bit to the side or take in a bit at a center I won’t mess with it much. That being said I really love this pattern. Love. Unfortunately it’s a size small and it’s yoked so I have no idea how to do it. I only need 3 measly extra inches to make it fit. I measured all the pieces and there is only 1/2 ease at the waist and 3 at the bust. That puts the pattern at a 33 bust and 26 waist. I want it to be around a 29 waist total with ease and 34/35 inch bust total with ease. So, here we go…. I need some ideas as to which option seems best:

Plan A-

Bodice front: slash at yellow line, insert 3/4 inch. Slash at green line running into yellow line, insert 1 inch lengthwise.

Bodice back: slash at each red line inserting 1 inch for length and 3/4 inch for width.

Plan B- all pink lines

Bodice front: and 3/4 inch to the center fronts including the back neck collar seam.

Bodice back: add 3/4 inch to CB

Inherently I like option B because it’s simple and fast. Will it work? Maybe. Option A sounds more technical and makes me think it would work too, maybe. The tricky part is that the yoke is top stitched so I don’t want to mess with taking anything off the seam allowances for the turned under bits bc then it will effect the arm hole. So there it is, in all it’s confusing glory. Either way I’ll make a muslin; drudgingly.

{ 12 comments }

Hi all! I am a huge fan of this site. I was trolling it this morning stirring up some inspiration for kids clothes. I love the little girls dress patterns but hate putting in zips or button plackets. They have a bunch of color photos from the 1940s of kids wearing regular everyday clothes. One pic in particular had a family of little girls all wearing matching dresses and you can tell how they were finished. Drawstring waists and just a button and loop closure for the neck. Duh! Head slap! So simple! I love seeing practical interpretations of the patterns, no one had time to outfit all their kids with tons of buttons and zips and deep hems and such.

http://www.retronaut.co/2011/10/colour-photographs-of-american-children-1940s/

I can’t snag the photo for some reason….

Anyway, thought I would pass the site along, great inspiration for every decade!

Happy sewing y’all!
~Meg

{ 0 comments }