A few weekend’s ago my sister Miss Z (as we call her) came down to visit me.
During that weekend she asked if I couldn’t sew her up a vintage style dress, and I was like YES!
We went through my pattern stash and found Simplicity 2512, which I’m pretty sure is from the 1950’s.
After going through my fabric stash Miss Z found some great coordinating floral fabric, which I’m thinking was meant to be a pillow case and bed sheet.
The dress came together pretty easily, though the pattern was meant for teens and really didn’t consider much of a bust. So there were a bit of adjustment that I needed to make to get the bodice to fit, but overall it was an easy pattern.
Since it can be a little chilly in during the spring we decided to make a matching shrug to go with the dress.
We used McCalls 5006 and used some black jersey fabric to knock out the shrug in no time.
The shrug really pulls together the dress and makes it wearable in the cooler temps.
Miss Z’s Dress
I’m happy to say Miss Z loved her dress and matching shrug. She even used some leftover fabric to make herself a matching hair scarf.
While there were some fitting issues and I was a little short on the fabric for the skirt, overall this was an easy dress to put together.
We both loved the vintage look and best of all it counts towards my #VintagePledge, which is a big plus.
For full details about making this dress be sure to see my full blog post at