Hello again! I recently made another garment from a vintage pattern, McCall’s 5308. I set out to make a Mad Men-inspired dress for both Julia Bobbin‘s Mad Men Sew-Along and the Sew Weekly Mad Men weekly theme. I chose this particular pattern because I really liked the neckline and because I had just enough of this vintage wool that once belonged to my husband’s grandmother to make view A (in green, below).
Here’s a close up of the finished neckline. I really like the combination of the pleats, the keyhole, and the bow.
The dress also has kimono sleeves and a simple kick pleat to add movement into the narrow wiggle skirt.
I wrote more about both the finished dress and my planning for the Sew-Along on my blog, Sew Well.
Hello again We Sew Retro. I’m back to share my second completed project from a vintage pattern with you.
I made a Burberry-inspired trench coat during the Pattern ~ Scissors ~ Cloth Ready-to-Wear Tailoring Sew-Along last spring using Simplicity 6976.
Image from Pattern ~ Scissors ~ Cloth.
I used a camel-colored gabardine for the fashion fabric, a striped Burberry fabric for the lining, and large black buttons. I followed the pattern fairly closely, changing things up a bit according to the Sew-Along suggestions and the few little details that I wanted in a trench. For example, I modified the collar to have a collar stand and I also added storm flaps.
I even made up the skirt to match.
I think it is a cute pattern that looks great as a modern trench coat, but I would also enjoy making it up just as the 1960s pattern suggests. If you’d like, you can read more about the jacket and the skirt on my blog.
Hello all! I’m Amy, and I blog about my adventures in sewing over at Sew Well. I’m new to We Sew Retro, and I am excited to be here. I’m also relatively new to sewing; I’ve only had a sewing machine for two years now, and it’s only been in the past year that I’ve gotten into garment sewing. I recently inherited a large number of vintage patterns, and in searching the internet for information about the patterns, I found this site. What a wealth of information! I can’t wait to join in.
In 2011 I made two garments from vintage patterns and started a third. The first was the 1970s men’s shirt pattern Butterick 4712 during the Male Pattern Boldness Men’s Shirt Sew-Along.
I used a natural linen for the body of the shirt, a fun silk for accents under the collar and such, and the backs of coconut buttons, all from FineFabrics.com. Here is the finished shirt on my husband:
You can read more about it here. And, I’ll be back with my other completed vintage pattern make in just a little bit.