≡ Menu

1950’s Cocktail Dress Revival

I hit a sewing bump 2 months ago. I lost all motivation to keep sewing. I stopped even trying to find a project to inspire me and then last week as I was cleaning out my closet I stumbled upon this 1950’s cocktail dress that I bought to fix up over a year ago. My fears of fixing it had sent it to the back of my closet where it had been forgotten.

It was riddled with holes. I started picking it apart piece by piece. This also allowed me to create a pattern out of the dress for future creations!

I created a lace overlay for all of the pieces, basted it on and then re-assembled the whole dress.

Once it was re-assembled I found I had created my dream cocktail dress out of what was once something I had at the bottom of the repair pile.

You can read more about this save over on my blog. In the meantime, I will be busy tackling that repair pile in hopes of finding another gem!

{ 6 comments… add one }
  • PocketC February 15, 2017, 7:47 pm

Such a neat way to hide the holes!! Looks fantastic.

• seamssewretro February 17, 2017, 1:21 am

Thank you all so much for your kind comments! And I am so happy it has inspired ideas for fixing other vintage pieces. I hemmed and hawed for quite a while on this one before deciding it would be best to take it all apart. But I am sentimental and had to keep the original fabric in the dress, so the lace overlay proved to be the perfect solution! “Draped on Cloudlets”, I hope you will share your skirt once you repair it!

• Petersilie&Co February 16, 2017, 6:35 am

Marvellous
    Absolutely worth the time and effort to repair the dress

• Draped in Cloudlets February 16, 2017, 5:56 pm

That’s such an amazing remake and beautiful “new” dress! The idea to use lace is brilliant, I might steal that idea to repair a pretty 50s skirt that I own 🙂 Thanks for the inspiration!

• Tam February 20, 2017, 9:33 am

Absolutely stunning. You are too cute. I love the neckline and the double row of ruffles. The fullness of the skirt is perfect for dancing. Congrats on this wonderful save. I have a lot of vintage sewing in my fiction novels, but I don’t have a redo like this. That would be fun to write. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Tam Francis February 20, 2017, 9:34 am