A few days ago, someone on the WeSewRetro fb page asked if anyone ever used liberty silk, which prompted me to revisit and finish this blouse. I started last Autumn. I had picked up some Liberty Silk a few months previous, and as it was relatively expensive and I was only buying it on a whim I bought .75m, which was really limiting my making options.
I got this pattern on Vintage Pattern Bazaar and thought it perfect for the Liberty, which it really was. I had to grade up one size, as well as taking a small bit of the shoulders as I was not going to put shoulder pads in. I cut it out and it all just about fitted (the selvedge were incorporated into the back seam. I also decided to sew it on an old Brother/Jones machine as it had a silk setting and I was curious to know what that was. I soon found out it means sewing in tiny tiny stitches which ended up being a bit of a pain, and if I was to do it again, I would just sew on my usual singer at usual settings. The main reason it was a pain, is that I also did the gathering (what was I thinking) and the top-stitching in this stitch. The top stitching looked awful. it made the shirt look ‘country and western’ style and as I was in no mood to take out tiny stitches, I popped it into my wardrobe so not to look at it for a while (head in sand etc).
Anyway, when the post came up on facebook, it was a timely reminder to finish the blouse. I undid the top stitch and sewed the yoke underneath, and it looked way better. I hand hemmed, and put a cream button and loop (I couldn’t remember where the fabric scraps were to cover the button and make a new loop – so now – blouse finished. Liberty silk is lovely to work on. the weave is very dense and fine (and very strong!).