Butterick 2137…this project sat in my ‘to-sew-to-fix-can’t-deal-with-it’ pile for a long time. I finished it early last summer, loved it. Wore it. But didn’t get around to taking good photos to blog it.
This neck line is the reason I couldn’t face it. I cut this out of my fabric, which was not really enough for a dress, but I had to make into something wearable as it’s just sew lovely, and was from my nana’s stash. A bit special.
When I cut this out, I was short of fabric for all the facings, and needed to add a false hem, so really short on fabric, but it Would Work. What I was not that prepared for was that when I cut it out, I needed to make a hollow bust/chest adjustment (which is now even more apparent as I am no longer a breastfeeding sewing mama). So I had to deal a bit, with body not working or pattern not working…happily I persevered, I sewed the bias on three times, first attempt the print showed through the white tape (oh no!) so figured I’ll skip the white detail at the neck and make it a bias facing…but then I was not happy with that. So, unpicked the facing, realised that all that sewing, unpicking and fiddling around had stretched the neckline even more. Major neckline gaping…Urgh.
So then, I put it away, despairing a bit, also needed to improve my attitude, and my skills?
In the end I just decided to make two pleats to reduce the gape and add a, um, ‘design feature’….I used two thickness of bias binding to finish, and viola! Happiness.
I had been looking at heaps of lovely patterns, and some really sweet details like gathered bodices, around the bust darts, and some of those really simple pleats or details that are so typical of beautiful vintage sewing patterns. So, lots of inspiration, and a bit more confidence to make the dress work.
I love the print, and the dress is perfect for summer.
I’m also wearing my other nana’s earrings!
Here’s the original pattern for those who enjoy them as much as I do…
More on my blog, of course, Mermaid’s Purse, Butterick 2137.