I started this cape project earlier this year, it’s a flow on from my big ‘separates sewing’ days from 2014. I made a cape last year, but was not quite sold on it, and wanted one with a decent collar, so I modified my original 1950s pattern, drafted a collar and voila! I cape I’m very happy with.
Butterick 6039, my starting point, (the older project is here). I have more photos and project details on my blog, I used the last of some lovely wool crepe and a remnant of cotton silk for the lining, and a button from my stash.
I attached a hook and eye for the closure, sewing the button on top, as I couldn’t commit to it! And I’m still undecided about the best closure. Ha!
I’m really happy with this cape, it adds real warmth, without too much weight, it is easy to wear and (I think) it’s a simple way to add some elegance to a more casual ensemble. And it looks great closed or unbuttoned.