1940s | Blouses

Simplicity 1692 – Blue Cherry Blossoms

July 21, 2015

Whew! Two posts in a few days. Being able to get several pieces photographed over the weekend, gave me a surplus of material to put up here for you!

I recently completed a second version of #Simplicity1692. You can see my first one here. This time I’m sewing View D, without the little ric-rac bow… I’m still thinking about going back and adding that, but I’m on the fence. What do you think? To Bow or Not To Bow?

I used a nice quilting cotton (because I lurve them so much!) in this pretty light blue and navy cherry blossom pattern. I also used a navy ric-rac to trim it out. *Sewists note… always check your trim for content and watch the temperature of your iron. I pressed this cotton shirt on the cotton setting, without realizing my ric-rac was some kind of synthetic. It got all melty on me. I may replace it, but honestly, you have to get REAL close to notice. And if you’re that close to me, you better be buying me dinner first. 😉

The construction was super straight-forward. The sleeves are cut in, so no setting them into the shirt. You literally just sew in the darts/tucks, front and back, put in the facing for the neckline and buttons on the shoulders and then sew front to back and turn and hem the sleeves and bottom. I love the button detail on the shoulders and I wish I had gotten a better picture of that part. I honestly didn’t even think about it when I was taking photos. (That’s what happens when you’re trying to get as much done as possible during the baby’s nap.) It is a really cute feature of the blouse.

I paired this with a navy pair of high-waist shorts. I believe they are Voodoo Vixen brand. All in all this blouse is very comfortable and easy to wear. Because I made it of cotton, it’s pretty cool and breezy on these hot summer days.

This blouse has a great fit. Especially through the back and shoulders, which is a recently discovered problem area for me. I’ll be posting more about that in the near future.

I really have no complaints about this top. As I said before, construction was a breeze and it went together very quickly. The fit is great, and flattering thanks to the front and back darts/tucks. This project cost less than $5 to complete. The pattern I bought on sale in a 5 for $5 Simplicity sale at Joann’s and the fabric is from their Quilter’s Showcase and it runs $4.49 a yard not on sale. I’m pretty sure I got this on sale. If not I used a 50% off coupon, so either way, I didn’t pay more that $2.50/yd and I bought two yards. The buttons and ric-rac were in my stash, so they didn’t cost anything to use.

This was #vintagepledge number 7 for me.

Thanks for reading, check out more on my blog at misskacysews.com!

Until next time!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.