1950s

New robe, 1954 style

March 29, 2015

I made a new robe using a Lutterloh pattern from 1954. In the book, it is described as “a decorated robe for the spoiled taste” (my book is the Dutch version, I’m translating literally here). It is also my second make for this year’s Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge.

zwaaienThe fabric I used is a bright blue cotton jersey/sweatshirt fabric which has just a little bit of stretch. The nature of the fabric allowed me to fit the waist piece at the side seams instead of making darts like the pattern suggests.

plaatjeBecause the skirt and upper bodice are wide and connected to the waist piece with gathers, it was fairly easy to fit this thing as I went along.

I made a simple neckline facing instead of a frilly trim and used fusible interfacing for knits on all facings. My robe closes with jersey snaps rather than with buttons and I put them only in waist piece (like in the illustration) although on the pattern there are button positions marked on the top part of the skirt as well.

zij:voorI’m happy with the result. It’s a very different look for a robe but I enjoy the drama of that big skirt and it is really comfortable.

As usual, you can read more about it on my blog.

  1. I love the look. Most vintage loungewear could double for regular clothing. There was a lot more thought, planning and details that went into styles from bygone eras.

  2. I completely love this. The midriff is so flattering as are the bust gathers. Beautiful colour and I can literally feel how weighty it is! Amazing!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.