This my first garment for this year’s Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge: A dress design from 1937, made using a reproduction pattern from EvaDress (which I bought with my prize from last year’s Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge).
The pattern was easy to use and the instruction were clear and easy to follow but I struggled a bit with the fit. I’m so used to drafting my own patterns and knowing how they are going to fit…
When I made a muslin using my size according to the sizing table, it was way to big. Even when I went down a size, it was still pretty roomy. I agonized a bit over period accuracy and then decided to try and make it so I would wear this dress. Which is how it became like this.
I shared those considerations both on my blog and on We Sew Retro – Sew & Tell and I got a lot of great advice.
I think the dress is OK as it is now but I will probably try and make it again in something like a very soft cotton or a viscose/rayon crepe.
You can read more about it on my blog.