I have been wanting to make a pair of 1970’s black velvet hot pants for a while, so I decided to have a go at this Mary Quant pattern and see what these looked like made up.
I used a remnant of 1980’s furnishing fabric to do the mock up from – I thought that the weight of the fabric would work better than making it from calico. Once I got it to this stage, they looked cute (in a non-Quant kind of way), so I thought ‘what the heck’ and decided to finish them properly.
The blouse on the pattern illustration was made in broderie, so I used another remnant (in a dirty beige colour) from stash to make it up – and found some awesome vintage buttons that seemed to be in keeping with the whole dandy feel.
The result, complete with some trashy coloured pearl necklaces and bracelets from a local op-shop, was interesting, but wearable.
And I have yet to make up the black velvet hot pants.