WeSewRetro.com

Vintage Patterns - Vintage Fabric - Vintage Style
Aprons | Dresses

Butterick B5509

July 14, 2014

Sorry for posting so soon again but the weather is so horrible here right now that there is plenty time for sewing pretty dresses (-: In an effort to forgot the dreadful storms that we had here I sewed another „I wish it was summer“ dress.  I used Buttericks B5509 pattern from the Making History series as a basis. I had already bought it months ago as I love all options of this set and would like to sew all of them (albeit as dresses and not as aprons as they are meant to be). I got the flower fabric at Alfatex and decided to use it for pattern D, a cute empire-waist dress. The fabric is very transparent and therefore I lined the whole dress in white fabric. I guess I still should not stand directly in the sun but as the we don’t have much sun right now that doesn’t matter much… The fit of the dress is pretty perfect and it is cleverly constructed, I just had to think about how to transform an apron into a dress. It was actually super simple – I just closed the back seam and sewed a zipper on. The bodice is open on the back and is tied with a ribbon, which feels very airy and summery. Empire-waist dresses always remind me a bit of maternity fashion and also the finished dress looked a bit too plain for me and so I bought green pseudo-velour ribbon to counteract this and to make the dress a bit more graphical. I also gathered the hem on the front and back side and added a bows – and I am so happy with the finished silhouette!

You can find a few more pictures on my blog, Draped in Cloudlets (-:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.