50s/60′s Bathing suit!

So after many weeks of reading about spandex and how terrifying it was to sew with. I stocked up on some stretch needles, good thread and fearlessly cut my suit out. The Butterick

Either I have a real knack for sewing, or spandex likes me, no idea. It came together in about 8 hours, and its the most adorable suit and I feel much more myself in it then when I wear a two piece and say hell to the world. I love my body, so you judging me won’t bother me. But my extra few pounds from the school year does hinder me with my confidence, even when I know I look just fine. I’ve lost 75 pounds few years ago, and i constantly strive to eat healthy and stay motivated.

Any who, I got matte look spandex in lovely turquoise. I had to change the halter, to actual straps to help support the cleavage. I may go back in and add some extra padding to help give a tad more support. I cut a size 14, and it fits pretty well, i had to take in the bra cups, there was 4 cup sizes to choose from, I cut a C, but found it large so I had to take it in somewhat, So I suggest maybe going down a size, or like i might do build up padding support. Its also inner lined with polylaminate foam, which I had to order online from a bra making store online.

Each seam is sewn three times for extra precaution, two long straight stitches and one zig zag. Sides are gathered to make ruching. The back and leg elastics gave a little trouble lying flat when flipped over, it tended to bubble/tunnel slightly. That might just be my in experience.

It’s fully lined with the spandex, so it gives great stomach control!. And i finally tested out one of my twin needles! to hem and topstitch the bottom of the skirt part!

I have no one to really take so i had to use the handy timer.

That is all! Hope you like it!

• Meet the Author • KristinaM

I am a graduate of theatre production, who taught herself to sew and realized she had a dream of working in a theatre wardrobe. I am going to Costume design school in the fall, to further my experience of learning of how to make more historical clothing.

• Wow, it looks great!!

• You look great, I love the color.

• Thanks! I adore the colour, I’m so pale and porcelain that it just totally plays up my non tanning/burning skins that comes along with being a Ginger baby once upon a time.

• Gorgeousness! Love the color and it looks great on you. Good Job!

• LOVE IT!!! SO freaking cute!! Makes me want to make one myself!

• It looks great! You’ve inspired me to try sewing this pattern. Yours is the first one I’ve seen

• I got it for 3.99 on sale at butterick website. The fabric though while I live in Canada and only have fabric land around where I am, so the material was 30$! for a meter and half, with my 25% discount card. And Yes, you need just shy of a meter and half, which I think is 2 yards or 1 3/4 yards. So if you can hit a sale it would be best.

• Looks great! I may have to try this pattern. Thank you for sharing.

• Great job!

• Great job! I love that skirt-detail on bathing suits from this era.
    About the cup size… That can be so complicated. Different brands may have different ideas about sizing, the amount of stretch in your materials may vary wildly and (in case you picked the cup size based on measurement) for any given chest measurement, there a huge variety of possible relations between ribcage and bust. If (in case you picked it according to your normal bra size) you wear a bra with underwires, the width of your breast should determine the cup size, not more than the volume (the entire breast should be inside the underwire, even if the cup itself looks like it’s made to hold something larger. In my old job as an alteration seamstress for a bridal store, I also had to fit ladies for corselettes and I came across this problem all the time. I’ve added a lot of padding and, on larger sizes, made a lot of adjustments to upper cups).
    Anyway, I think you’ve dealt with that in the right way: start somewhere, possibly a bit on the large side, try on while sewing and adjust accordingly. It looks very well-fitted now.

• Well I wear a C in bras just like every one my one breast is slightly larger which is more noticeable with out a bra on. Which is why I cut a C, I also forgot to mention the bra part is made of poly laminate foam to give it some structure, and support and help with nippleitus while swimming . But I still find it rather flimsy, why I want to try and add more padding to see if it will help. And bra shopping is hilarious, I only shop at la lasenza our canadian store, and since victoria secret finally came to canada, whenever I visit toronto or London I make sure to pick up a bra or two. Walmart bra, I find a c I like, and the middle never sits flat like my. Other ones.

• You look gorgeous. Great work!

• You look beautiful, such a lovely project and even better when you feel comfortable in it.
    And I can only add to all the other, you chose a great colour, it really suits you.
    love, ette

• Very very nice. And it looks great on you. What material did you use for the lining?

• The lining with the gusset, is just swim lining mesh. The padding in the Bra is polylaminate foam. The rest is just spandex!