Starting with a really cute Simplicity pattern from 1968 and using the McQueen/David Bowie Jacket as a bit of Union Jack inspiration
First I played around with the pattern schematic and a Union Jack on the computer and ended up with a placement that I didn’t think looked too bad (although it was a bit tough going over the curved seam at the centre back….
Because the dress was fully lined, I mostly patchworked the shapes on to the outer fabric. (The pattern had originally been cut out with a shortened hem, so I thought I might just use the previous owner’s length – just to see how short they anticipated wearing it) I used a stiff 100% cotton fabric with a linen weave.
After that it was just a walk in the park to get the dress together using the same white cotton fabric as lining.