What kind of iron do you use?

I’m in the market for a new iron, and since I’ve never actually owned a “new” iron (yes, I’ve been using other people’s castoffs, for shame), I’m not 100% sure what I want to get. I don’t mind spending a little bit more, because I want to get something that’s going to work really well and last a long time. What are your favorites?

• Meet the Author • Evie

I'm a spanish teaching, classic movie loving, fabric hoarding, yarn coveting, chicken keeping bibliophile, and mother to a beautiful, wild little boy, with too many projects and nowhere near enough time to finish them all. Sewing and knitting are what help keep me sane.

• Rowenta.

• Black & Decker Steam Advantage F1060

• Rowenta DW8080. German made. I’ve had mine for over four years and have never had any issues.

• I use a Shark, it doesn’t have any fancy features just the basic steam,spray, be hot…but I do appreciate that it has an automatic shut off so if I forget to unplug it or it happens to fall over it won’t burn my house down…which ya know, is nice.

• Any type of Professional German-made Rowenta! I have had several (all of which died untimely deaths when they hit my hardwood floors and shattered… totally my fault). All have been fabulous!

• I’ve had my panasonic for 8 years now and it has great steam with a removable water chamber. The best part is that it’s CORDLESS! It docks much like a cordless phone so every time you put it down (at a low angle so it’s very natural) it recharges. It also shuts off automatically and has a retractable cord that lives in the base and a cover with handle that clips on so very portable and storable. Now when I use irons with cords it seems so cumbersome… I’ve also worked with professional industrial irons and this one has held up to many years of use. I thought it had finally died recently but I cleaned the contacts and it’s still going!
    /Users/Hedder/Desktop/Panasonic cordless iron.jpg

• I guess that image won’t appear in a comment but if you do an image search it’s an older model Panasonic NI-L45NR.

• Your image won’t appear online because it is pointed to a location on your computer, not the internet. Only someone on your computer can view that location. ;)

As far as the iron question goes from the OP, I have a Black and Decker F67E. I bought it because it wasn’t too expensive and I didn’t really know what I wanted, but its been fantastic!

• If you get a Rowenta, make sure you’re getting a German made one and not one made in China. I made the mistake of getting a China made one the first time and it started leaking after only 2 years.

• Maybe that was my problem. I paid big bucks for a Rowena, and it was a piece of leaky junk; I couldn’t figure out why people raved about them. The $28.00 Hamilton Beach steam iron I bought to replace it is so much better.

• I have a cordless tefal, and it works like a dream!

• Rowenta with a tank for the water. Pro model. I’ve had it in for repair once, for a broken steam button. Other than that, 10+ years of faultless service.