Custom Wedding Dress Rework + Reception Dress!

by Fabstract on May 25, 2014 · 18 comments

in Applique,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

A soon-to-be-married old friend contacted me a few months back and asked if I would be into in restyling her mother’s wedding gown from the 70′s for her to wear for her upcoming wedding this summer! I was initially a bit wary of cutting into something so special but decided to go for it and I am so glad I did! The original dress was made by a dressmaker in Baguio City, Philippines, and is made of pineapple fibre organdy and beautiful cotton lace with beads and sequins. I was a little nervous with the mention of pineapple fibre as it was totally foreign to me, but it was very easy to work with. The dress was beautiful but a bit dated in a not-totally-flattering way,┬áso we discussed changing it up a little to suit her better. Before:

She gave me a few ideas of styles she liked (boat/bateau neckline, illusion lace) and let me play around to figure out the right way to restyle the dress. I suggested a low cut lace back and she was all over it. The main body of the dress fit fairly well and didn’t need to be taken in much, but I slimmed it down a bit overall.
The main change was of course the neckline and bodice. After much consideration, I carefully cut out the lace (taken from the sleeves and veil) and pieced it in place. I pinned it atop the original neckline and traced the area to be cut away. From there I added a small seam allowance to be turned in and hand-stitched the edges of the new neck and back lines.
Then the fun part! Putting the new neckline and the strategically shaped lace together as one! Much hand stitching later (to create a seamless transition between the appliqued lace and the dress fabric I used very tiny stitches) we had an illusion neckline! The bateau neck is slightly higher at the back to kind of ‘hug’ the back of her neck. The bride is quite petite (more so than my dress form, and the low back will hit in a tasteful but lovely spot.
After:

I am so happy with how this turned out and very inspired to push my limits further!

After the lace was cut for the wedding dress, we realized we had some left over and decided to make a second dress, for her to wear to the reception, which would incorporate the extra lace. I happened to have some lovely cream silk shantung in my collection, so from that I cut a very simple retro 60′s sheath, with bateau neck and V-back. The leftover lace was shaped into an obi belt which fastens with hooks and eyes at centre back.

Overall a very rewarding and great project! Bride and mother-of-the-bride are very pleased with the result! Feels great to be trusted with such a beautiful heirloom item. I preserved large seam allowances in the “new” wedding dress for future alteration possibilty, just in case she wants to hand it down again one day…

Indie fashion designer, vintage aficionado. Check out my etsy shop, Fabstract, for one of a kind garments aplenty!

Fabstract's posts / Fabstract's website

datura May 25, 2014 at 5:04 pm

This is gorgeous! I love that you preserved the feel of the original dress while creating something totally new. I’m sure the bride and her mother are both thrilled!

cowgirl24 May 25, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Wow!!! What a great redo. I love how it all came together and the second dress is lovely too.

PepperReed May 25, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Gorgeous!!! Just love how you redid the dress.

Sally Anne Syberg May 25, 2014 at 9:42 pm

This is nothing short of fabulous!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

Pat Bankowski May 25, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Impressive work – great vision to see how it could be done.

MaciNic May 25, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Wow! This is fabulous, both dresses! Lovely work.

Nathalie May 26, 2014 at 7:53 am

So pretty, congratulations!

sorbetsurprise May 26, 2014 at 8:09 am

Such beautiful remakes, I love them both and I bet the bride felt special wearing them.

Draped in Cloudlets May 26, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Wow, this is so beautiful, you did a fantastic job!

Fabstract May 26, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Thank you all!! It is so great to be able to share something like this with people of like minds. The wedding is not for a month and a half still but the bride is way cool and didn’t care to keep the dress under wraps, she graciously let me show it off :)
Seriously cannot wait to see her in it! Maybe I’ll post an update photo after the wedding, as it will look way better on her. I have butterflies about it as if it’s my big day too! Haha

Brenda May 26, 2014 at 8:35 pm

As mother of the groom I’ll agree that the bride is “way cool” and really love what you have done with the dress. It is going to be a very special day and what you have done with both dresses to preserve the integral and classic beauty is simply amazing. Thanks so much for the excellent work!

Fabstract May 26, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Aww thank you Brenda! Matt and Liz are both such awesome people and I am super happy to help contribute. Congrats on your expanding beautiful family!

cc May 27, 2014 at 1:12 am

hey, i’m going to be shooting their wedding and cannot wait to see your stunning work on the big day! i’ll send you some high-res images for your portfolio if you drop me an email to remind me. you should be seriously proud of what you’ve done here!!

Fabstract May 27, 2014 at 1:53 am

Thanks CC! Photos would be lovely, I really appreciate that. Your photography is gorgeous. It’s gonna look so amazing on Liz, can’t wait!
I’ll be sure to drop you a line after the wedding :)

Carolyn May 27, 2014 at 7:19 am

What a beautiful job you did, and the execution looks flawless! Such a clever approach. I can make just about anything from scratch, but have always found re-fashioning particularly challenging. Very well done, indeed!

AliceM May 27, 2014 at 9:12 am

Absolutely beautiful! A brave and creative renovation. Clearly, everyone is very pleased. It is a joy to read about a project that is so successful.

Erika C May 27, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! You are very talented, and the bride is going to look fabulous!

Fabstract May 27, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Thank you for the kind words! I must say I had to really get my nerve up to make the first cut. I have been refashioning dresses for years but still have to remind myself to double (and sometimes triple) check before cutting, as there are no do-overs! I do both from scratch and restyling and the restyling can often be more time consuming, ironically enough. But it is worth it in the end to take something that will not otherwise get worn or is damaged and make it new again! After all this is what women did though the ages, mending and updating!
I think with vintage it’s important though to maintain at least the original feel, and the style whenever possible. There is only so much of it in the world..
I could go on forever..