Searching for a pattern

by restlessweaver on April 17, 2014 · 8 comments

in 1960s

I’m currently making plans for my ordination (assuming I pass my final ordination interview later this month), and have been looking at robes/cassocks/albs to decide which one I want.  However, they are ridiculously expensive!  Since I’m unwilling to pay $400+ for a robe made from “linen-look” fabric, I thought I would look into making my own robe.  That was when I found this lovely vintage pattern, McCalls 2079.

I think it’s from the ’60s, and it’s exactly what I’m looking for!  Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find a physical copy of it anywhere!  Has anyone seen this, or does anyone happen to have it in their stash?  Or has anyone seen a similar pattern anywhere?  I will take any size.  Thank you so much for your help!

Knitting, spinning, sewing...I love to create! I am a Midwestern living in Texas, trying to find patterns that are fun AND heat-friendly. I love sewing retro designs because it is nearly impossible to find a good twirly skirt these days! I mainly focus on 50s clothing, though occasionally dabble in 19th century, or the 1940s.

restlessweaver's posts / restlessweaver's website

LittleBlackCar April 17, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Hmm, no. I found several Butterick 6844, but that’s a much newer pattern.

Anna April 17, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Hi!

I did some searching and found a copy of this pattern that didn’t sell on eBay, dating from March 2014. You could contact the seller and see if it did get sold in the meantime. If not, you may be in luck! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-McCall-Pattern-2079-/221382540000?nma=true&si=HOcCyl8%252BWjdn24JtJOZOWaMDA50%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Jan M April 17, 2014 at 7:56 pm

The University of Rhode Island has an extensive pattern collection, so I have heard. Not sure who to contact there… God bless!

Julie April 18, 2014 at 5:09 am

This site may have a pattern you can use: http://www.churchlinens.com/vestments/

Laglov April 18, 2014 at 10:59 am
vintageattempt April 21, 2014 at 8:32 am

I am sorry that I am not able to help, but I wanted to tell you congratulations!!

Shirlee Fassell April 21, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I have a Butterick pattern 3819 for a “ministers robe. Its fuller then the one you have. Also if you go to the URI website looking for the master seamstress program you can contact the women that runs it Diane and she may be able to help . I just finished a class there and they have a great program as well as a large group (about 100) of sewers that meets monthly.

Katherine April 26, 2014 at 8:09 am

I had this pattern once and really had no idea how to price it, so I put a high price on it to hold it for a bit while I did some research and it sold within 5 minutes. I was astonished. Unfortunately I don’t have any more but I’ll keep an eye out and if I find one in time you can have it for free as an ordination present :)