I picked up this old wool club jacket at an estate sale a few months ago. The back embroidery was fabulous even though the coat was moth-eaten and very worn.
I used McCalls 4161 coat pattern from the 1940s as a starting point to sew up a jacket that actually fit me. I cut as much as I could from the original navy wool and added a brown plaid to compliment (and of course I needed a matching skirt).
I love sewing with wool and plaids are definitely my favorite! Working with this heavy club jacket was a bit tricky though. The navy wool is so thick and dense, it was tough to bend and roll the seams. My finishing work on the inside isn’t as pretty as I’d like it to be because I couldn’t roll the salvage edges under. It was just too bulky. I also gave up on hand-stitching the cuffs and bottom waistband. Again, too bulky. So instead I did some extra top-stitching to really nail the wool flat where several layers met. More photos and sewing details are on my blog. And just in case you’re wondering, the construction behind me is a new ram barn. The old barn had holes in the roof and cracks in the walls. Seemed an appropriate place to take pics given Felix and Val’s profession.