A new robe

by Lauriana on April 7, 2014 · 2 comments

in 1940s,1950s

This robe was made using a pattern I drafted myself. However, I still think it has a place here because a shape like this, ankle length and flared, is something I see all the time in ladies’  and sewing magazines from the late 1940′s and 1950′s. And those can have any kind of sleeve, set-in, kimono or raglan, like mine.

My robe has wide, deeply set raglan sleeves which are gathered into long jersey cuffs. The robe itself is made from a fairly thin cotton toweling fabric with matching jersey for the facing, cuffs and belt.

It has pockets, patch pockets which were sewn from the inside so there is no visible topstitching (I made a tutorial for those.

For more pictures and the full story, go to my blog.

This post was written by...

– who has written 13 posts on WeSewRetro.com.

Seamstress, pattern maker and vintage fashion enthusiast from the Netherlands.

Lauriana's posts / Lauriana's website

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

WendyBee April 7, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Looks great! I can’t believe you drafted it yourself. That’s a skill that mystifies me, but would save lot of money on patterns and time making alterations. I love that color! And the silhouette and the drape of the fabric. Now I’ll have to check out your pocket tutorial. I have no idea how to make those.

Reply

Deb April 7, 2014 at 5:28 pm

I love it! I have a robe I made a few years ago from a modern pattern, but would like to make another one as well in a long length. Love the cuffs on the sleeves! Nice detail to add!

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: