Simplicity 7638: Late 1960’s Dress

I am not sure whether to call this a mod dress or not.  I am not terribly familiar with the fashion terminology of the 60’s so I’ll refrain from attaching any labels lest they be incorrect.

Anyhow, this is a 1968 pattern that I bought as part of a lot in 2009. I immediately fell in in love with the scallops and the color of the green dress but for a sting of reasons didn’t get around to working on it until last July.  The muslin went well and revealed that the only adjustments I truly needed were shortening the length and adding some width to the sleeves.  Yay for big upper arms! Not.  I also removed some of the ease from the sleeve cap because it was unruly.  I cut the fashion fabric….last July…. and didn’t pick the project up again until a couple of weeks ago.  Seven months sat the cut pieces somewhere in my sewing room.  Seven months.

I really love the dress.  I love the scalloped edge and I do love the lime green, even if it is a bit obnoxious.  Now I need to learn a hair do to go with it.  There’s a ton more blurb on my bog.

• Meet the Author • June

Hello! I grew up with a professional seamstress grandmother, and all the women in my family are very good at some fiber art or other, but I always thought that the crafty gene had skipped me. Then some time in 2008 I decided that I was going to learn to sew so I could make cloth diapers for my son. It wasn't long until I realized that I wanted to make other things, and the rest is history. I'm very much interested in historical costuming but I love sewing all types of garments. Even though I've been at this for years now, I still have so much learn!

• I love this dress, the scallops are great! And the green is very spring – not a bit obnoxious!

• I love those scallops, too! I’m old enough to remember, and I don’t think I’d call it “mod”, but it is exemplary of the late-sixties dress styles, adorable, and looks fabulous on you. Not many of us can wear that happy green so well. Nice work!

• I love color and the scallops. I always say that instead of being born in the 60’s, I should have been an adult. I love the clothing from then! I think it looks fantastic on you.

• For your hair, just part it in the middle and let it down. That’s it! You won’t get a more sixties look. Great job on the dress. I love the scallops.

• Your dress is amazing. I love the colour too. Well done!

• Absolutely adorable. Worth the wait! It would look more mod if it were quite a bit shorter, but it’s just perfect the way it is.

• Wow! Love this dress. You did an amazing job on it. Scallops aren’t easy to sew, but yours look perfect. I also love the color. Yes, it’s a distinctive dress, but that’s what makes it unique and special. Like you, I don’t line my summer dresses b/c I also live too far south and it’s just too doggoned hot and humid in our long summers. Hope you enjoy wearing your fabulous new dress!

• Love your scallops! And the color is fantastic! I used to have a bright green dress when I was in high school. Love the bright colors. :)

• great job! i love the lime green and the scallops!

• Those scallops are perfect! And love the covered buttons, too!

• Great job. I think the color is really fitting for the ’60s. The scallops add such great interest to the simple lines of the shift.

• this is very nice–color, silhouette, scallops and fits nicely–very attractive