Looking for 1970′s Dress Pattern

by LadyD on March 16, 2014 · 12 comments

in 1970s

I’m trying to find a modern pattern equivelent for the dress in the image below.

I’d be happy if I could even find the correct ‘shape’ to cut out to get that 1970′s collar. But I can’t find a tutorial anywhere….surely someones done it before.

I’m hoping you can help me. I think I can use my shirtdress pattern (I’ll have to compromise with a button down the front) but its the collar I always have trouble with….if I can get me a basic 1970s blouse shape It would give me a base to work from.

I've always hand sewn but never created garments until recently. I love the retro/vintage style. Its so much more stylish and flattering than modern stuff. For my dancing escapades and folk music http://thelearningtoclogblog.blogspot.co.uk/ For sewing, craft and general blog http://stitchintimeandspace.blogspot.co.uk/

LadyD's posts / LadyD's website

locosewer March 16, 2014 at 6:17 pm

I have simplicity 9361 from 1971 which looks kind of like it.

locosewer March 16, 2014 at 6:27 pm

sorry, I hit enter instead of tab……..I can the collar scan it and email it to you

Catherine Alekna March 16, 2014 at 8:52 pm

have you tried Etsy for any vintage shirt dress patterns or dresses with a v-neck from 1970? you can add the collar to it later. it could also be possible to draft it yourself. even if you just get some cooking paper and hold that against yourself in the mirror and roughly draw it.
That’s probably the best way to get that extreme point on the collar though – buying the actual complete pattern

70s patterns on Etsy are cheap and there’s plenty of them!

Susanne March 17, 2014 at 6:47 am
mary March 17, 2014 at 7:45 am

Here is your collar. Just overlay the bodice of a zippered aline shirtwaist.

waterbear March 17, 2014 at 6:56 pm

The back of the pattern envelope of this one shows the shape of the collar very clearly if you click on the last thumbnail.

Bobbi March 17, 2014 at 8:36 am

Sarah Jane! Doctor Who! Are you planning a cosplay outfit? It’s a cute dress and looks comfortable. I look forward to seeing your finished dress!

LadyD March 19, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Yes I’m going to london film and comicon. my cousin is going as 4th doctor so I’m going as sarah jane.

Jeanette March 17, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I have Vogue 2686 from the 70′s that looks very similar, I actually have two copies, and will gladly post you one of them if you’d like?

Michelle March 17, 2014 at 4:09 pm

The Winifred pattern by Blue Ginger Doll might be what you’re looking for. It’s a contemporary pattern with vintage flair and very similar silhouette to this.

gildasglove March 18, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Butterick 4155 is very similar. It’s available at MOMSPatterns:

LadyD March 19, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Thanks for all the answers. Its helped a lot.
I’m going to make a ‘blouse’ to practice my collar size with and sleeves first before tackling the dress. :)