I can’t afford a real Shaheen… (Butterick B6019)

by Bex on March 15, 2014 · 10 comments

in 1950s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

Hi guys and gals!

I’ve finally finished making Gertie’s Shaheen-inspired sarong dress (Butterick B6019) and I hope you like it!

The pattern:

My version:

This pattern was HARD! If you want the full story, it’s on my blog here.

The fabric is an indigenous hand-printed cotton from theĀ Babbarra Women’s Centre, available from Spotlight (Australia).

The dress definitely needed a little bolero, and Butterick 6087 (from 1952) looked like a good match.

While the dress nearly drove me mad, the bolero was very easy – which I greatly appreciated by the time I came to sew it!

If you’ve been thinking of sewing this pattern, definitely give it a go but don’t get down-hearted if it’s a bit of a struggle. Unpick, resew, keep going – you’ll have a killer dress in the end.

A vintage obsessed, rockabilly queer-Femme living in Sydney Australia. I hoard vintage knitting and sewing patterns, and shoes. So many shoes.

Bex's posts / Bex's website

Paperdoll March 15, 2014 at 6:56 am

I love your version with the straps. I personally don’t like strapless dresses – I like to look at them, but not wearing them, because I just don’t feel very comfortable in them… I also like the fabric you picked

Rachel March 15, 2014 at 7:40 am

Awesome! It looks great! Totally worth all the hard work!

Katrina March 15, 2014 at 8:52 am

Absolutely LOVE it! I think the bolero really completes it.

datura March 15, 2014 at 11:24 am

This looks wonderful! I always love the things you make. The fabric is perfect, the bolero looks like it was designed to go with the dress, and everything is a gorgeous fit! I was on the fence about this dress when I saw it in the pattern catalogue, even though I love Shaheen…I think the version they made doesn’t show it to its best advantage. Now that I’ve seen yours I want to give it a try.

Frances March 15, 2014 at 11:44 am

Oh my goodness, though, it’s GORGEOUS. The bolero is perfect with it, and your version just looks so much… Shaheen-ier than the pattern picture. I think it was worth the struggle!

Jaime March 15, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Ah this is perfect timing and yours looks great. I am actually in the process of this dress right now. I’ve done a muslin of the bodice, taking out the shirred panels since I’m just not a fan of shirring on me and replacing with one panel for each side in the back. The bodice amazingly fit well with taking in the side seams a bit (and going down a size than the envelope calls for as usual, who needs that much ease?!) and I like that I didn’t have to do a small bust adjustment. I have yet to tackle the under workings of the bodice. I was trying to decide if I wanted to stick to the pattern with the skirt or go with a different pencil pattern that fits well, seeing your skirt troubles I think I’ll just modify the one I know fits. And I love the bolero, I wish I had it.

Stephanie March 16, 2014 at 5:09 am

wow! thats a super dress! well done

novemberfoxtrot March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am

It’s perfect!

spookysnark March 17, 2014 at 4:44 pm

love this! I saw this fabric range in Spotlight yesterday and it really is lovely. I’m inspired!

EmSewCrazy March 18, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Looks good! Congrats on persevering to the end!