American Weekly 3892

For a long time I wanted to sew a peplum blouse. I think this style is really flattering, accentuating the waist and the gathered peplum gives you a curvier look. It’s really feminime.

The pattern really inspired me with the fabric choice. As you can see, the illustration shows a striped fabric. And I had a striped fabric for years in my stash. I think it’s a match made in heaven. Ok, maybe I’m exaggurating a little, but still.

Source

It was really hard to cut everything out of the fabric. Not only because of the stripes, but I hadn’t enough fabric for this pattern. But with som trial and error and a little bit of cheating I made it work.

I had to make the hem width of the skirt a couple of inches smaller otherwise I wouldn’t make it. The skirt doesn’t have a waistband, but a facing. originally the centre front and back parts of the skirt needed to be cut along the fold. I couldn’t do this, and had to add a seam.

i really stepped out of my comfortzone, using a bold striped fabric. Normally I’m more into floral prints. I’m not sure if it’s totally my cup of tea. What do you think?

As always you can fin more on my blog

• Meet the Author • Anthea

http://anthea-retrovintage.blogspot.com/ I love sewing and knitting, using vintage patterns, drafting my own vintage inspired patterns or using modern patterns.

• I love this outfit and the way you have used the striped fabric to such good effect. The colours are lovely and the way the skirt swings is fun and isn’t missing the extra fabric either. I can imagine it worn with a black 40’s hat and gloves for a date and swinging at a dance.

• I think this looks fabulous! And it’s so nice to see that a peplum blouse can look good with an a-line skirt. I’ve been really drawn to the peplum style(s) out and about now, particularly ones with a vintage vibe to them, but feared they could only be worn with pants/jeans (which I almost never wear) or straight skirts (which I almost never wear. This combination gives me a whole new, inspiring, perspective on peplum blouses! So, thanks!

• Oooo! I have this pattern, but it’s a juniors size and I have to adjust the length and proportions on it so I haven’t actually gotten around to making it yet.

• it looks beautiful! nice work

• I LOVE it, what a beautiful ensemble! Your choice of fabric is perfect indeed :)

• Good grief I LOVE THIS.

Going up on our facebook page in the morning. Great stuff!

• Oh my goodness, I love it! The fabric choice is great, and I really admire your ingenuity in making the amount you had work!

• Absolutely Fab!

• Thanks ladies!

@ Evie. Surprisingly I didn’t have to change a lot of the pattern :)

• This us so lovely, and looks great on you! And the colours really suit you.

• Great dress and *totally fabulous* fabric choice! Love it! I hope that you will wear it with great pride to the most staid event you can think of. I’m always interested in hearing how people conserve fabric or re-work cutting, when you don’t quite have enough fabric to make the pattern you want. Bravo!

• I have to say, I usually cringe when people start adjusting vintage patterns to use less fabric because they usually spoil the qualities that make the design what it is. But you have totally carried it off here. I would never have guessed that you had to cheat, even seeing your dress right next to the illustration. I’m also impressed that you ran the stripes in different directions from the illustration and still made it look great.

Plus, you look like a cross between Dita von Teese and an early 1940s Judy Garland!

• What a great outfit, you look stunning. x

• The way you oriented the stripes is lovely on you. The more I look, the more I find to like! Well done!

• Wow! I think this dress is terrific! You are so pretty, and you have a lovely slim figure; I think you are a stunner in such a brilliantly made dress. Very nicely done. Also: the shoes are perfect.

• You did very well Ma’am and I thank you for sharing this vision.

This style seems good for a young lady, so fresh, and lively. Your shoes are on point too.

Simply well done!

Cheers,

Lyric

• this is so amazing! i looks like it could be used in a movie or period drama or some sort! you look wonderful!

• I think it’s absolutely great!

• Thanks again! I love reading your comments, they make my day!