1960s Cape

I made a cape and so far it’s perfect and I love it!

I used Vogue 6032 from 1963 and I used a charcoal wool with purple satin lining. It’s fairly warm, except for the no-sleeves bit so it’s perfect for the spring now that it’s starting to warm up.

I had a bit of trouble converting all the hand stitching in the pattern instructions to my new serger (as I’m fairly inexperienced with both hand-stitching and serging), but I think it came out really well.

It took a bit of practice to get used to walking with my arms out front instead of to the sides, but really it’s like going out with a fashionable blanket on so how can you go wrong??

More construction details and pictures on my blog.

• Meet the Author • Kristin

• Beautiful job! Very fashionable, great color choice and nicely executed. I love capes especially with a matching hat :-)

• Thanks! I love the idea for a matching hat!!

• That’s so gorgeous! I want one!!! So well made, well done :-)

• Thank you!! You should make one too! :-)

• That’s seriously cute. I’ve been wanting to make a cape since I saw Blair on Gossip Girl wearing one (don’t judge!), but I live in a hot climate so it seems a little needless. I’ve been pining over 1950s patterns for sundresses with capelets though, as a more reasonable alternative.

• Ha, I used to love Gossip Girl and almost everything Blair wore – I need to find that cape picture!! And yes, perhaps capes are unnecessary in hot climates. So sad…

• Lovely! I have a vintage pattern just like this, I think I would look more Miss Marple in it though, you look lovely!

• Nonsense, you should make one up as well!!

• Love it! It has a very “Sound of Music” vibe. Looks like a lot of fun to wear.

• Ha, thanks! It’s definitely fun wearing out!

• I LOVE your 60s cape! It looks fabulous on you! I’m inspired!

« LAST POST