This is a raincoat I made using a vintage Simplicity pattern (5928) from 1973.
The pattern isn’t specifically for a raincoat – it’s for a tailored coat – but I liked the shape so much I adapted it for my purposes. The coat has some lovely features such as princess seams and in-seam pockets, and has a great flounce about it because of the exaggerated A-line shape.
I shortened it by 4 inches (I’m short and wanted it to be knee length) and had to change the sleeves from two piece to one piece as I just couldn’t get them to set in properly. I used a coated navy waterproof fabric for the main coat and a red floral vintage satin for the lining. It did take me a while to finish it and there were a few hiccups along the way, but the results are worth it – I love it and I’m sure this will be getting a LOT of wear in the rainy UK! More construction details and photos can be found on my blog – Handmade Jane