My Vintage Dreamcoat

1950s Butterick 547

Can’t  quite believe that it’s done! This is the resulting coat from the pattern I bid for on Ebay about 7 months ago!

1950s Butterick 547

The only alterations I made were to take 2 inches from the bust. I actually took half an inch from fronts and back panels all the way down. There was masses of ease and I probably could have lost a bit more but I love how comfy it is and I wouldn’t want to be restricted any more. I also took 4 inches from the hemline!

1950s Butterick 547

The outer pieces came together quite quickly but each of the eight lining panels is serged and hand stitched with tiny stitches inside. That took some doing, I can tell you! The fabric is a ‘quality coating’ from Fabric Dreams and the collar is a short pile faux fur. At some point I’d like to add some fur cuffs too. But that’s another day!

1950s Butterick 547

So happy to have a warm coat! And it’s great for twirling in too!

More info and pics over at ooobop!

• Meet the Author • ooobop

• Gorgeous! I would love to buy the same pattern. Ever thought of making copies and selling??? hint hint hint..

• Thank you Lisl. If I knew a good way to do that I might consider! :-)

• Oooo you look like Vivian Westwood in all that delicious colour.
    Fabulous shape.
    I keep buying patterns (& even some fabric) for coats then chickening out when I think about all the work involved to make it look that good.
    Beautiful job, I think you’ve inspired me to make the effort before the weather turns.

• Oh Jayne. You say all the right things. Best comment ever! It really isn’t difficult but it is time consuming and you do need a lot more space than usual!

• FAB*U*LOUS!! That color patter is awesome and you look Great! Good Job!!! (and Those Shoes!)

• Thank you so much! The shoes were a lucky find at the back of the wardrobe. Just a pair of Clarks from last year, in the sale!

• That is great – love it! It looks good and I love the flow of the colors with the shaping of the coat. That is so neat!

• WOW! I love this…that fabric is so amazing and the pattern is so flattering. Perfect!

• Beautiful!

• Wauw! What a beautiful coat! The fabric is also really fine. (Love everything else about your look too, the shoes, your hair and that fab bag!) Thanks for the inspiration:o)

• stunning match of fabric and pattern! what a nice twirl!

• Thank you and sorry for late reply!

• Gorgeous. It’s so unique, I’ll bet you get lots of complements, then you can tell people you made it!

• Thank you Patrice. I certainly do!

• Oh my goodness!!! How gorgeous!!! You look fabulous in your coat. It so inspires me. I have purchased a vintage coat pattern that I’m going to use to make a faux fur coat. This will be my very first attempt to sew a coat for myself. Wish me luck. Jan.

• Thank you Jan. It makes me feel fabulous for sure. Good luck with yours. I totally recommend the whole experience from making to wearing!

• gorgeous! the fabric is amazing!

• Fun coat! I always love your posts. You have great style!

• Thanks Becky. Very flattered x

• This is a gorgeous coat!!! I would love to have a coat from this pattern.

• Thank you Derenda. Worth keeping eyes peeled on Ebay/Etsy :-)