≡ Menu

Introduction

Hello WeSewRetro,

I posted once, years ago but have recently found the motivation to post some finished garments. I finished a Diploma in Fashion Technology last year and am now studying costume which is very exciting! I make my own patterns unless I state otherwise and every now and then I delve into my collection of vintage patterns. I’ve been very busy sewing the past few months and here are some of my more retro/vintage garments.

Pink Seersucker Dress

Day of the Dead Crop Top with Black Full Skirt (Alexander Henry Fabric)

A-line Lobster Dress with Matching Belt

Blue Floral Border Print Dress with my 1964 VW Beetle

Senorita Dress (Alexander Henry Fabric) with my 1964 VW Beetle

I’m slowly working towards my wardrobe being a majority of handmade or second hand clothes. I post my sewing and op shop finds on my Instagram: “sharpscissors” http://instagram.com/sharpscissors and would love to see other fellow retro sewers and vintage lovers there!

About the author: Costume and printing student, fashion tech graduate, Sydney, Australia.

{ 14 comments… add one }
  • Sassy T February 23, 2014, 2:56 pm

Love all of those, the last features one of my favourite Alexander Henry designs.
    Sassy Sewing Bees https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

• sharpscissors February 24, 2014, 9:38 pm

Thank you! Haha yes I’m in love with Alexander Henry, especially his Mexican themed fabrics.

• Lolita Haze February 23, 2014, 3:01 pm

Oh that crop top is amazing! As are the rest! Are you really tall or do you shorten the skirt hems to your preference?

• sharpscissors February 23, 2014, 3:32 pm

Hi Lolita Haze, thank you!
      I am somewhat tall (176cm) but I also hem to my preference. I find knee length to be more flattering on me and also I wear my dresses as everyday clothing.
      I’ll probably have longer hems in my winter clothes when I start sewing those 🙂

• sorbetsurprise February 23, 2014, 4:16 pm

I love all you outfits! Those dresses are darling!

• Evie February 23, 2014, 5:09 pm

Really cute! My uncle had a ’64 Beetle that he bought new in Germany and brought back to the states. Drove it until a few years ago after hitting the 1 million mile mark on it.

• sharpscissors February 24, 2014, 9:40 pm

Oh my goodness, that’s amazing! Everyone I speak to has a Beetle story and I love hearing them. Such a great car.

• datura February 23, 2014, 6:21 pm

These are all so lovely…my favorites are the Day of the Dead top and the Senorita dress. I love your choice of pattern placement for those, too. And your red shoes are perfection!

• sharpscissors February 24, 2014, 9:51 pm

Thank you so much! Alexander Henry is an amazing fabric designer, irresistible prints. Those shoes were a “saw it and had to buy it” 🙂

• EmeraldErin February 23, 2014, 7:37 pm

The Senorita dress is so gorgeous- and the day of the dead crop top is super cute too! I love it all- such great fabric choices!

• Tami February 24, 2014, 11:57 pm

I love the Lobster A-Line! What a beautiful dress!

• Kyrae June 29, 2014, 4:21 pm

Hi, I love your senorita dress. Do you have a tutorial that you use or have made? I’d love to be able to make one for myself..