1950’s tarten circle skirt and grey bolero

Hi, I’m here again with a 1/2 circle skirt I drafted myself and a bolero that I knitted from a vintage pattern.

As circle skirts are notorious for being difficult to hem I decided to add a feature of self made black bias around the bottom edge.  I really like the way this picks out the black in the tarten fabric.

The pattern was easy enough to draft.  I used an old drafting book from the 1950’s and chalked directly onto the fabric.  I used an invisible zip on the side seam and love how the squares of the fabric are distorted.

This is a better picture of my bolero.  I needed to do some crochet around all the edges and this was my first proper attempt at crochet.  I quite enjoyed doing it even though as a knitter I found it feeling odd holding the yarn in my other hand.  Aren’t the pointy cuffs cool?!

This is the pattern I used.  I found it on Etsy from a seller called Vanessalovesvintage.

So, another new outfit!  I hope you like it too?

• Meet the Author • Claire

Hi, I'm an English lady living in France who loves to sew, knit and be creative!

• Your new outfit is lovely! Nice work!!

• Very cute! I love the style of the bolero. And the skirt came out beautifully–not easy with bias plaids. It’s a nice look–retro but not too costumey.

• I love this outfit – beautifully done! Where did you get the fabric?

• Hi, I bought the fabric in Fabric World in the UK. I have spotted the same on Ebay UK too.

• Sorry, Fabric Warehouse.

• Really nice!

• Great outfit – I think I have some similar fabric to this – put with fuchsia pink instead of turquoise. And I have just been over and bought the bolero pattern, it looks fab x

• Hi, yes there was a pink option of this same fabric. Maybe you’ll make the same outfit as mine? ;-)

• The fabric you used for your circle skirt is lovely, and I really like the bound hem. The bolero is gorgeous, really lovely outfit.

• Thank you!

• Love it! The turquoise plaid is excellent and I love the hem treatment–I’ll be trying that myself in the future. And yes, the pointy cuffs are way cool. (I want your outfit.)

• It’s so easy to make and add bias to the hem – do try it! And thank you for saying you want my outfit :-)

• I love your outfit, and I especially love your fabric choice for the skirt!!!

-karrie

• Love this! The skirt came out beautifully, and I completely agree about the binding. Also, thanks for the idea, because I was wondering how I should finish a circle skirt that I’m working on!

The bolero is lovely. As a knitter and crocheter, I know how weird is it to switch from one to the other, and it looks like you did a great job; it looks just like the photograph!

« LAST POST