1950′s “Miss Kitty” shorts

Sew Jillian's MIss Kitty Shorts

Firstly an explanation of the name! I sewed these shorts up with my 1950 Singer Featherweight 221k sewing machine, the first garment project I have used it for. My Featherweight purrs like a kitten so I named her Miss Kitty… and so the Miss Kitty Shorts were born.

Fashion Cut Patterns 9720It was lovely to have sewn up these shorts from 1950′s era Fashion Cut Pattern 9720 on a machine of the same vintage. I had hoped to solely use the Featherweight, but must admit to not staying completely faithful to that goal when it came to seam finishing (serger/overlocker) and button hole construction (I had to use my modern Janome when the attachment for the Featherweight deigned not to cooperate!).

Though I have been sewing for many years, these are my first pants/shorts! I was so chuffed with how they turned out as I was terrified of trying to figure out fit. But right out of the packet they were almost perfect. The only modifications to fit were to take in two inches (total) at the waist side seams grading to nothing at the hip, and to shorten the crotch length with a hasty, quick and dirty tailoring method! You can see more details of this at my blog if you are interested.

Sew Jillian's Miss Kitty Shorts

These shorts are made from a lovely medium to heavy weight cotton sateen (with a bit of lycra making them very comfy) and I used a cream cotton voile for the pocket lining and tab facings as using the fashion fabric would have been too bulky. I made a few departures from the construction instructions which were very sparse! They certainly didn’t believe in hand-holding instructions at Fashion Cut :) I reviewed the pattern here if you’d like further details

All in all I am so very proud of these shorts and am now tempted to delve further into pants/trousers tailoring… I’d love a pair of sailor style pants!

• Meet the Author • SewJillian

A bit of a sewer, a bit of a raveller, occasionally unravelled. Ultimately I make stuff... often retro/vintage. Let's be friends!

• I love these! And the stripes on the pattern go well with the shorts…great choice!

• Thank you! I don’t normally do stripes, but yep I think this was a good choice for these shorts :)

• You should go for the Sailor pants!! You will rock them ;)
    Very lovely shorts!

• Thank you and I have already started to looking for a sailor pants pattern!

• These are so cute and fit you perfectly, I think you’d look great in sailor pants!

• Thanks Venida. I was so surprised by the fit. I think this might become a bit of “tried and true” pattern for me and I can see another pair in denim.

• Love these!!! The tab pockets are so cute, and the fit is spot on!

• Evie, I love the tabs too. Such a simple detail but so effective!

• So Great! I love that style and the tabs on the pocket are wonderful! Good Job!

• Thank you! I was unsure about the high waist, but I think I’m now a convert.

• These are nice! Love your fabric choice and the tabs on the pockets- such a cute detail!

• Thank you! The fabric is a bit heavy and a perfect bottom weight. Would love to get more in a different colourway.

• Those came out lovely! I haven’t tackled any sort of pant or shorts yet. Seems like you had a good first time experience.

• Yes I think I got really lucky with these, as I hear so many horror fitting stories!

• You did a beautiful job with the stripes! They look perfect on the side seams and the waistband looks cute the way you placed it. I love the way you did the tabs with stripes going the other direction. Not to mention that you look stunning in them!

• Truth? There was no way to match stripes on the waistband after inserting darts in the back, it totally skewed it! But I was pretty happy with the rest of the stripes

• how chic! i love them and the fit is so good too! great work!

« LAST POST