I’ve finished another sewing project! This one is a mid 1940s day dress. I knew the pattern would be a touch large for me, but I went ahead and made it up anyway without making any alterations. And guess what? Yup, it was a little too big! Well, actually it’s quiet wearable but a bit too roomy in the bust area for me. And that’s perfectly OK because I’m hoping this dress will work for someone else.
The dress is made from a red and white striped cotton that is light and slightly springy. It’s machine sewn but the neck, sleeves, and hem I finished all by hand. The fabric really drapes and moves beautifully so I think this would be perfect for swing dancing! I believe it’s a cotton/rayon or cotton/nylon blend. It was a left over piece from my fabric stash so I’m not really sure.
The neckline has a great key-hole detail and closes with a hidden hook and eye. There is also a zipper on the left side. I did not add the bow at the neck as shown in the pattern but that can be added in a jiffy! I added a black bow belt for contrast in the pictures, which sadly are a little washed out. I soooo need a new camera! The fabric is really a nice bright red in person. This dress is listed on Etsy if anyone is interested. I also have a few more pictures on my blog.