For the holidays, I made a green and red dress. I picked up this wonderful festive green fabric while in Ghana, West Africa, and it has served me well for several projects. I started with a sloper from 1961, and I turned the tight round neckline into a boat neck with a slight scoop. I laid out the pattern pieces so that the medallion and the “V” would be in the front of the chest, the dark blue edging along the waist, and the other medallions strategically placed.
I have not decided if this dress is hideous, or it is so kitschy that it is totally fabulous. I like the nice cap sleeves and snug bodice of McCall’s 6121, so I have made this basic pattern with all sorts of alterations, such as different necklines, collars and cuffs, princess seams, or as a button-up shirtwaist dress, etc.
This pattern was a snap to put together. The darts make it easy to fit any shape. Since I am shortwaisted, I shortened the backwaist length by one inch. Next time I might shorten it by an inch and a half. I raised the bodice front dart by three-quarters of an inch. Then I raised the side front dart by half an inch, and at the same time re-angled it and shortened this dart length. If I had not raised and re-angled the side front dart, it would have intersected the bodice front dart.
Also notice above, my travel mug has a sweater that matches my dress. I always match all of my accessories to my clothing (shoes, purse, and hat) so I absolutely cannot have my travel mug a glaring mismatch.
For more information on this and other projects, please visit WesternSpinster.com. Happy New Year, may the coming year be filled with joy and laughter!