A vintage blouse

by seamsoddlouise

in 1960s,1970s,Blouses

This post is about a muslin I have made for a vintage blouse.  The pattern came from ebay. And I think the ladies look rather stylish, don’t you?!

I’ve made my muslin from a rather thin old sheet, as I wanted to test the fit and style before cutting into good fabric.

I think the sleeves are rather snazzy – a real statement.  They remind me of the Tilly and the Buttons Matilde blouse that is everwhere in the sewing blogosphere (can’t see how to do a link on here, but it’s easy to find).

The exposed zip is another key feature that I feel marks the make out as retro.  I really like it (it’s only my second zip so I’m rather proud of it).

It’s rather snug; I’m thinking if I do make this in good fabric I will maybe add a bit of width on either side.  Would you continue on to make the finished item?

I started sewing a few months ago and I have not looked back. It's so amazing to take a flat piece of cloth and with a few alterations you have a garment. Nearly all my sewing has been using vintage fabric, old curtains, or old patterned sheets. I've enjoyed reading blogs on sewing, including this one, and now I have my own little blog too. I'm just finding my sewing "voice"; learning my skills and discovering what suits me. This is all such fun.

seamsoddlouise's posts / seamsoddlouise's website

trish January 12, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Wow, impressive exposed zipper job! I would consider some underarm gussets (Gertie’s New Blog has a handy tute) to allow a bit more movement–my job requires lots of arm-lifting, so that comes to mind first. This looks darling on you–can’t wait to see what this looks like in your ‘nice’ fabric!

seamsoddlouise January 13, 2014 at 3:15 am

Not heard of underarm gussets before. Off to check them out. Thank you very much for the tip.

Leanne January 12, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Fun! I wouldn’t necessarily add to the body width first. You might want to fit the shoulder width first and then do a full or low bust adjustment. I can’t see the darts to tell which may be more helpful. A good fitting book should tell you how to proceed. The process of fitting a commercial pattern to your body is a good skill to learn early on! Great job on your first muslin. The blouse is definitely worth it!

seamsoddlouise January 13, 2014 at 3:18 am

Would I sort the shoulder width out with a dart or fold on the pattern? Yes I am trying to learn about fitting. There is so much to take in though isn’t there. So I’m going slowly.

Louise January 13, 2014 at 2:38 am

I love it! I dont think you need to add too much width as it looks lovely close fitting but obviously do what youre comfortable with! Im just starting to sew and a new follower xx

seamsoddlouise January 13, 2014 at 3:19 am

Hello fellow Louise, thank you. Enjoy your new hobby. Looking forward to seeing your makes on here. This site is fabulous. Always something fun to marvel at.