A vintage blouse

by seamsoddlouise on January 12, 2014 · 9 comments

in 1960s,1970s,Blouses

This post is about a muslin I have made for a vintage blouse.  The pattern came from ebay. And I think the ladies look rather stylish, don’t you?!

I’ve made my muslin from a rather thin old sheet, as I wanted to test the fit and style before cutting into good fabric.

I think the sleeves are rather snazzy – a real statement.  They remind me of the Tilly and the Buttons Matilde blouse that is everwhere in the sewing blogosphere (can’t see how to do a link on here, but it’s easy to find).

The exposed zip is another key feature that I feel marks the make out as retro.  I really like it (it’s only my second zip so I’m rather proud of it).

It’s rather snug; I’m thinking if I do make this in good fabric I will maybe add a bit of width on either side.  Would you continue on to make the finished item?

I started sewing a few months ago and I have not looked back. It's so amazing to take a flat piece of cloth and with a few alterations you have a garment. Nearly all my sewing has been using vintage fabric, old curtains, or old patterned sheets. I've enjoyed reading blogs on sewing, including this one, and now I have my own little blog too. I'm just finding my sewing "voice"; learning my skills and discovering what suits me. This is all such fun.

seamsoddlouise's posts / seamsoddlouise's website

trish January 12, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Wow, impressive exposed zipper job! I would consider some underarm gussets (Gertie’s New Blog has a handy tute) to allow a bit more movement–my job requires lots of arm-lifting, so that comes to mind first. This looks darling on you–can’t wait to see what this looks like in your ‘nice’ fabric!

seamsoddlouise January 13, 2014 at 3:15 am

Not heard of underarm gussets before. Off to check them out. Thank you very much for the tip.

Leanne January 12, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Fun! I wouldn’t necessarily add to the body width first. You might want to fit the shoulder width first and then do a full or low bust adjustment. I can’t see the darts to tell which may be more helpful. A good fitting book should tell you how to proceed. The process of fitting a commercial pattern to your body is a good skill to learn early on! Great job on your first muslin. The blouse is definitely worth it!

seamsoddlouise January 13, 2014 at 3:18 am

Would I sort the shoulder width out with a dart or fold on the pattern? Yes I am trying to learn about fitting. There is so much to take in though isn’t there. So I’m going slowly.

Louise January 13, 2014 at 2:38 am

I love it! I dont think you need to add too much width as it looks lovely close fitting but obviously do what youre comfortable with! Im just starting to sew and a new follower xx

seamsoddlouise January 13, 2014 at 3:19 am

Hello fellow Louise, thank you. Enjoy your new hobby. Looking forward to seeing your makes on here. This site is fabulous. Always something fun to marvel at.

http://www.hkazak.com/-coach----f23266-sv-m2-------rcp--5-250-- April 30, 2014 at 6:35 am

Left over common since that time, typically the macintosh can be an remarkably functional nevertheless definitely sophisticated accessory in the collection watertight applications tend not to occur improved geared up and improved shopping.

nike jordans pictures impetigo April 30, 2014 at 7:15 am

the vast majority coveted stands out as a sensational shiny orange violet spinel that known as flare spinel. in their file, secrets of the diamond commercial (Brunswick real estate fit), diamond gourmet rich t. wise publishes articles,’Flame spinel,’ a violet normal with a definite orange secondary skin tone, is actually second so that you violet as all round number to bargain.
nike jordans pictures impetigo

nike air max acg mens May 2, 2014 at 12:48 am

buddy and i were classmates having the dog in all areas of our first many years of school, breaking to chat after we leaped inside of the dog, And now and again extending the dog cooked wares at which we got the chance encourage to bake 4 dozen cupcakes and offer to anyone we handed over the street. which he was a important, terrific fellow, whom just now seemed to reside in the second and enjoy life on the most basic level. yesterday this older year commenced, i came across the dog opposite a college website.
nike air max acg mens