When my fiance and I moved to Massachusetts for school, I knew that one thing I wanted to purchase or make was a very warm housecoat. I’d purchase the pattern for Butterick 7461 last summer and made the shorter version out of a kimono that my mother and I made while I was in junior high, and the fit and style were great and the pattern was quick and easy (like it says on the package!) so I figured it would be perfect for making a longer housecoat.
I procrastinated on the hand finishing for ages, but… it’s DONE!! And I love it to bits and wear it constantly. For more construction details and lots more pictures, keep reading…
I was originally toying with the idea of a quilted housecoat of some kind, but I eventually decided to try making it entirely lined in fleece. I ended up going with a deep purple fleece and a fantastic floral print satin-y synthetic from Jo-Ann fabrics (Someone a few weeks ago made a blouse out of the same stuff!) I could not be bothered to cut out the two layers separately, and the floral fabric was very slippery, so I did my best to line them up neatly and cut them out as one. I omitted the interfacing, since I figured that the fleece would be stiff enough. The collar points aren’t as sharp as they were on my first version of it, due to the puffy fleece inside, but I don’t think it detracts much. The pattern went together fairly easily (except for the slippery slippery floral fabric and some inordinately bulky seams)… I procrastinated the hand finishing quite a bit, but I buckled down and did it last week.
But anyways. I’m completely smitten with it, and I love it lots, and I have designs on maybe making another housecoat or day dress out of the same pattern.