Butterick 7461, or, Project Housecoat

by Frances on December 5, 2013 · 39 comments

in Vintage Sewing

When my fiance and I moved to Massachusetts for school, I knew that one thing I wanted to purchase or make was a very warm housecoat.  I’d purchase the pattern for Butterick 7461 last summer and made the shorter version out of a kimono that my mother and I made while I was in junior high, and the fit and style were great and the pattern was quick and easy (like it says on the package!) so I figured it would be perfect for making a longer housecoat.

I procrastinated on the hand finishing for ages, but… it’s DONE!!  And I love it to bits and wear it constantly.  For more construction details and lots more pictures, keep reading…

I was originally toying with the idea of a quilted housecoat of some kind, but I eventually decided to try making it entirely lined in fleece.  I ended up going with a deep purple fleece and a fantastic floral print satin-y synthetic from Jo-Ann fabrics (Someone a few weeks ago made a blouse out of the same stuff!)  I could not be bothered to cut out the two layers separately, and the floral fabric was very slippery, so I did my best to line them up neatly and cut them out as one.  I omitted the interfacing, since I figured that the fleece would be stiff enough.  The collar points aren’t as sharp as they were on my first version of it, due to the puffy fleece inside, but I don’t think it detracts much.  The pattern went together fairly easily (except for the slippery slippery floral fabric and some inordinately bulky seams)… I procrastinated the hand finishing quite a bit, but I buckled down and did it last week.

But anyways.  I’m completely smitten with it, and I love it lots, and I have designs on maybe making another housecoat or day dress out of the same pattern.

A recent college graduate, Frances is pursuing a career in music (preferably opera) while nursing a strong passion for sparkles, sewing, and all things vintage.

Frances's posts / Frances's website

Cactus December 5, 2013 at 9:34 pm

This is beautiful! So rich looking. And definitely fit for the holidays. Love, love, love it!

Stacia December 5, 2013 at 10:19 pm

This turned out so lovely! I adore the fabric you chose!

SeamstressErin December 6, 2013 at 12:16 am

What a divine project! So inspiring. You’re tempting me to toss my whole queue and emulate your housecoat immediately!

Jill December 6, 2013 at 2:14 am

Picking my jaw up from the floor. In LOVE with this!

craftylittlebugger December 6, 2013 at 4:55 am

Absolutely stunning. I had never really considered housecoats until now… If this were mine I don’t think I could take it off.

Nicole Melotte December 6, 2013 at 8:41 am

This is gorgeous! What a glamourous way to lounge around the house – I’m totallyjjealous!

MB@YarnUiPhoneApp December 6, 2013 at 8:43 am

Next time try KK200 spray when cutting out two fabrics together. It will temporarily hold the fabrics together so they will not shift.

Frances December 6, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Aha, brilliant! Thanks for the tip, that would help a lot with how unruly fleece and satin are.

Jill December 6, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I never knew I needed a fleece-lined satin housecoat until I saw this post. This is happening.

Frances December 6, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Ha! It’s so worth it. It’s a good-looking wearable blanket.

Becky Culbertson December 6, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Ditto to all above responses. Don’t you feel glamorous and beautiful lounging in this??? On Christmas morning… wow. Just wow.

Evie December 6, 2013 at 12:45 pm

ADORE!! That pattern is wonderful, and your version is gorgeous! I really want to make one for myself, but I think it will be a while before I can work it into my schedule.

Michelle December 6, 2013 at 2:11 pm

LOVE! This is gorgeous! I have a couple similar patterns in my stash that I’ve held-off on, because I wasn’t sure how practical they would be. Your idea to line with fleece is BRILLIANT!

Debi December 6, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I love this so much! I have this pattern in my stash and now I want to sew it up! The fabric is just beautiful!

Ripple Dandelion December 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Gracious! This is just smashing. You have just definitively redefined housecoats as potentially very exciting. That print is so perfect on you.

Nadia Lewis December 6, 2013 at 4:57 pm

This is amazing! Love it! :D

EmSewCrazy December 6, 2013 at 7:14 pm

This is a gorgeous make. With temps here in the negatives this is looking like an especially cozy option!

Bonita December 6, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Ohmygoodness ~ this looks amazing! Seriously, it’s summer down here but I still want a floor length, fleece lined housecoat now… It’s fabulous! You did a fantastic job. :D

xox,
bonita of Lavender & Twill

Ange December 7, 2013 at 2:23 am

I LOVE this, you never can have enough house coats…

I have a similar though older pattern, I’m inspired thank you!

Have another cup of tea x

Jamie December 7, 2013 at 6:58 am

This house coat is absolutely beautiful! I wish I could find this pattern!

Jeanette December 7, 2013 at 10:57 am

This is beautiful, I can see one of these in my future too. x

datura December 7, 2013 at 11:32 am

Gorgeous!! I love the fabric, the buttons at the waist, and the fact that it looks both cozy and glamorous.

Kristen December 7, 2013 at 12:58 pm

This is the first time I have ever posted a comment here after reading the blog for over a year. I LOVE this and the picture is wonderful as well!!! Great job!

Kris in TN

Tegan December 7, 2013 at 9:58 pm

So I’ve been thinking I needed a kimono or quilted robe… you’ve completely sold me. (Also, Vintage Vixen? Right? I’m your Boston-area stalker on your regular blog, if it’s you ;-) )

Frances December 8, 2013 at 7:40 am

You definitely need a kimono or quilted robe. It’s like a good-looking Snuggie.
(Uh… Polka Polish? But yes, you are my Boston-area stalker! Ha. )

Dea December 8, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Ah damn alliterations get me every time. I always click through from American Duchess :-P

Whoops!

Catherine Alekna December 7, 2013 at 10:54 pm

oh my this is so lovely! i would not feel guilty for spending half the day in my jammies if i wore this over it

Frances December 8, 2013 at 7:42 am

…why do you think I made it? (Totally guilty of whole-days-in-jammies in this thing.)

raywuwei December 8, 2013 at 2:31 am

Ohmygosh, this is so ladylike and lovely! I think I need a quilted housecoat with a flannel lining, because I apparently am closer to 75 than 25 now that the cold snap has hit ;)

waterbear December 8, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Welcome to Boston (I am North Shore) in your stunning and timeless housecoat! Photos are beautiful as well. Thanks for posting :)

Kait December 8, 2013 at 5:57 pm

This is gorgeous and so glamourous. You have convinced me that I need one of these! I wish I had your pattern!

Siri December 9, 2013 at 2:05 am

I didn’t know I needed a house coat, but I TOTALLY DO!! That is awesome, and so glamorous ;)

bobbincat December 10, 2013 at 2:44 am

How absolutely adorable! You have inspired me! In the winter I often come home and put on my fawn coloured dressing gown but wow a house coat – that would be something else. And the fabric is so rich and elegant! Nice job!

Kristin December 12, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I absolutely adore this! I’ve been wanting a housecoat for so long but I was terrified of making one because so many of them seem so… I don’t know… plain? But yours is so gorgeous and I loved that it’s lined in fleece. So amazing!

Sarah December 15, 2013 at 6:10 pm

This is beautiful! I love the patterned fabric hiding the warm fleece and your photos are lovely.

Snowma December 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Great job. Nice to see a robe in a grown up and sophisticated colorway. Love the (slipper) styling in the photo.

EriChanHime December 16, 2013 at 11:28 am

This project actually made me sign up for a SewRetro account, after just lurking for years… I love what you have done with this elegant pattern! It’s gorgeous and ladylike and exciting. So much so, that I scoured eBay and Etsy looking for this pattern and finally bought it! It’s too small for me, but it was the only one I could find, so I will be spending some time over the holidays grading it properly. I already have the fleece for the lining (a lavender color I got 6 meters of in Japan for about 5 dollars). Thank you so much for sharing this one!

ShirleyDont December 19, 2013 at 4:58 am

This is a gorgeous house coat. It looks like a dress you could wear on Christmas. Fantastic job and thank you for sharing!

Anonymous January 3, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I’m wondering now, where did you get the green slippers you’re wearing with it? I love the shape! Can you tell us the brand?