Sharing a win…and a thank you for this vibrant and talented community

by Mermaids Purse on November 7, 2013 · 9 comments

in Dresses

This is not a post about vintage fabric or a vintage pattern project, but it is certainly inspired by vintage fashions, fabrics and patterns!   I wanted to share with you all, my most recent project.  When I started vintage sewing about five years ago, I would never have taken on a project like this!  But I have honed my skills, tried many new ideas and techniques, loved seeing what you are all up to, and had feedback and support for my sewing projects from We Sew Retro, and this is what I find myself working on, who would have thought!

Above and below are a couple of fuzzy photos of a garment, Coralline, made from plastic supermarket bags which I then re-worked and wove into a huge continuous mat.  Yes, it took me months!

I have documented the assembly process over on my blog, which has more photos of the ‘fabric’ itself.  Here’s another photo…  I’m sure you can spot the influences, I am in love with excessive Dior couture dresses, that narrow waist and massive skirt.  I also love Alexander McQueen.

I entered these garments into a fashion show, Cult Couture, which happened on Saturday night.  It was fabulous and so very exciting, as to top it off, my second entry, Hydra, won the Recycled Revolution category prize, wonderful!  Here it is, another made from re-worked plastic from bags.  This is Hydra:

Such a fabulous night, wonderful to see my creations alive on the catwalk.

Here’s another less fuzzy photo.

Enjoy! x

Mermaids Purse's posts / Mermaids Purse's website

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas November 8, 2013 at 12:19 am

Oh My Goodness! Give me a moment to pick my jaw up off my keyboard! This is completely, over the top, brilliant. There aren’t really words that convey my awe! Congrats on the win! You absolutely deserve it!

Mermaids Purse November 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Thank you!

EmSewCrazy November 8, 2013 at 12:46 am

Wow! That’s so neat to see where support and skills can take you. Fabulous job!

Claire November 8, 2013 at 1:49 am

They are amazing. Well done on your awards. The use of unusual fabrics in dresses is something I’m really interest in. Thanks for sharing.

Siri Andersen November 8, 2013 at 3:41 am

Those are just amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations, both on winning an award and getting these made. I cannot imagine the work that went into them. Just lovely!

Catherine Alekna November 8, 2013 at 4:34 am

so amazing! congratulations on coming 2nd and for all your effort!! these are really gorgeous and Hydra definitely looks like it could be on the red carpet!

Fantastic Mrs Fox November 8, 2013 at 6:42 am

Wow! Those are amazing. I’m in love with Coralline – and a matching shrug as well! (Is it named after the Neil Gaiman book, per chance?) And, since they are made from plastic bags, I’m assuming they are waterproof? I would consider buying both of these… Genius!
I haven’t been sewing that long, but you’ve inspired me to think more about the types of fabrics I could use for my own projects. Thanks very much for the inspiration! I hope you win many more awards x

Fiona November 8, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Congratulations on your prize. These are just so beautiful and I love that they’re made from recycled fabric that you’ve also constructed yourself. Just fabulous and so inspiring! Thank you for sharing!

Louise Spell November 15, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Your sewing is beautiful as well as your modeling.