≡ Menu

Self-drafted peplum blouse

Hi everyone, just wanted to share my almost finished new creation and also to ask your opinions?

I started with a basic bodice block that I drafted, lowered the back into a really deep “V” shape and added a 6-inch peplum which I essentially drafted as a circle skirt and lined the back split together with the bodice for the zipper, which I hand sewed in.
I also made some bias from a random scrap of powder blue chiffon I had lying around and put that around the neck hole for some contrast and a nice finish.
The sleeves have been the bane of this project for me! I can’t decide what I want to make! At the moment they are just temporary mini flounce with a semi circle of the fabric, which is set in just like a regular sleeve. What I am thinking is to make a 1/2 length cuffed sleeve and finish the cuff edges off in the bias tape, but I worry that with the peplum and the busy-ness of the fabric that it may just be too many focal details and get a bit messy, so any input you may have would be well recieved.

The fabric is a nicely weighted Poly-cotton and I have about a metre of it left, so I can really do anything with the sleeves as I have enough fabric.

Thanks for looking, you can see more about this project and other things I make at Red Hot Rosie,

About the author: I love to craft, my passion to craft led to sewing from a very young age and my penchant for vintage clothing and ladylike glamour moulded the general themes that I more or less stick to. In real life I’m a cook in a cafe, and I dont always wear my creations (c’mon it’s just not practical in a commercial kitchen). I am engaged and live in Perth.

{ 8 comments… add one }
  • Hanne November 24, 2013, 7:08 am

I love this top the way it is now! I think the sleeves at the moment are very flattering whilest looking very elegant. I love the combination of the romantic shape of your top and the skulls!
    Great job!

• AStroNaughty November 24, 2013, 7:34 am

Thanks for the kind comment! I think that the issue with the sleeves for me is that I think it makes the blouse look too homemade, or something like that 🙂

• Samantha Jo November 24, 2013, 1:49 pm

I love the sleeves! It goes well with the peplum. It isn’t too busy and i LOVE the skulls! 🙂

• Deb November 24, 2013, 3:20 pm

Agree with the others- the sleeves are perfect as is! LOVE your fabric and the whole blouse. 🙂

• Cyndy November 25, 2013, 4:56 pm

The sleeves are nice, but I think longer sleeves would be nice also. And the blue tape would coordinate it with the neckline, and not be too much, in my opinion. Thanks for sharing your creation.

• Gemma November 26, 2013, 6:38 am

I agree with the previous comment – I also think that longer sleeves would look great, and that the bias binding wouldn’t be too much. At least as long as the sleeve itself is not too “complicated”. I think longer sleeves could accentuate the peplum in a way, sort of letting the peplum be the only “flounce”, if that makes sense 🙂

• Smee January 6, 2014, 2:56 pm

Lovely! And I’m in love with that fabric!

• adrianna January 29, 2014, 12:02 pm

i went to a basket ball game last night and that would of been the perfect shirt