Hello all!

I just wanted to share my most recent creation. I wasn’t sure about posting it on here, but I had a change of heart after the positive feedback from my blog and Facebook.

This honestly has to be my least favorite dress I’ve ever made. I fee like it makes me look wider than I am. I believe it’s because I choose plaid and it’s gathered at the waist.

The dress was simple to make and didn’t take me all that long. I used vintage embroidered plaid fabric from my stash. The only issue I had was the bodice fitting me big, but that was easily fixed by taking it through the darts.

I feel like this dress looks great on my mannequin and the hanger, but not me. I also feel like a pilgrim with the oversized collar LOL

Well, I guess all dresses can’t be winners!

-Allie

throughthealley.com

Hi! I'm Allie, a vintage stylist and fashion design student based in Dallas. Be sure to check out my blog Through the Alley.

Through the Alley's posts / Through the Alley's website

Ami November 23, 2013 at 5:59 am

Oooo I love this dress! Such a cute little pattern :)

Naomi November 23, 2013 at 6:04 am

It looks great on you, supercute! :)

Claire November 23, 2013 at 8:53 am

Aww, it’s a bummer you don’t like it. I think it has the potential to be very cute. It looks like maybe the waist is hitting a little low on you? If it were raised up to emphasize your actual waist, it might not make you feel so wide (because I can tell you’re definitely NOT wide). That collar is very Pilgrimish though. I think if it were scaled down it could be cute. It reminds me of this pointy collar on Audrey Hepburn that I’ve had pinned for a while.

Dea November 25, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I was just going to say something along this line! Perhaps a wider belt? That’s the problem I have with 60s fashion as well — it’s all a little long-waisted. :-\

meredith November 23, 2013 at 9:40 am

Actually I really like it! I think the plaid is great, and only the collar is skewing it Pilgrimish… could be perfect for Thanksgiving! I think a smaller collar would be really cute, though!

Stephanie November 23, 2013 at 9:42 am

I think it looks pretty cute. Like Claire, I also think the waist may be hitting a bit low on you. If you don’t want to take it apart, maybe you could try a wider belt to visually raise the waist line a bit.

Jordan November 23, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I like it. Maybe a non-plaid would be better, but the design is fantastic! Good Job!

Anonymous November 24, 2013 at 3:55 am

I think you look adorable!

BeaW November 24, 2013 at 4:07 am

Oh no, so bad you don’t like it. I think it’s super cute, especially the ott collar. Perfect Thanksgiving dress. I hope it will grow on you as I think you’ve done a great job.

Bridget November 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

I think overall it’s adorable, though, if you want to break it down and get nitpicky, it does look a little too big. Like others have said, the waist is a bit low, and it looks as though there might be a little too much fabric in the skirt. Also, is it lined, or are you wearing a slip? I feel like this would give the fabric a little more body and help it fit better, as would shortening the skirt by an inch or so. But like I said, it’s pretty adorable as it is (runs off to finger plaid fabric)

LucyLovesYa November 24, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I really like the fabric and the collar! :) Good job – it suits you x

foamofdays November 24, 2013 at 6:53 pm

That’s just so lovely! Looks so cute on you!

Reading Goddess November 25, 2013 at 8:20 am

I like it, too. I get how frustrating it is to spend time and money on a project and then not feel pretty in it. I will usually go ahead and wear it once or twice, then reuse the fabric or give it away. It is all part of the learning process. As I get better at sewing I have fewer misses, but I still have them! Do try a wider black belt and perhaps a petticoat, both will give you the appearance of a smaller waist. (Not that yours is big.) Then maybe turn it into a skirt if you still don’t care for it. That fabric is wonderful.

Morgane November 27, 2013 at 10:26 am

Very cute pattern and so very cute dress! Your choice of fabric is just perfect! :)

ooobop November 27, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I absolutely love this dress. And I totally agree with what has been said about shortening the waist. I think with this adjustment you might just grow to love it too! :-)