Feather-Print Sheet Dress

by MelissaO on November 20, 2013 · 9 comments

in 1950s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

Hi fellow retro sewists! Melissa here. This is dress that I made over a year ago and photographed this past summer. I’m finally posting it even though it’s totally inappropriate for Fall/Winter (except maybe for you Aussies and Kiwis!). Here’s my version of Butterick B5708.

I decided to change the pattern a bit and use the circle skirt from Butterick 5748 instead of the original gathered skirt. The fabric I used is from a vintage sheet I found at a thrift store and since it’s white, I lined the dress, including the skirt. The top is meant to be convertible and the pattern envelope shows several ways to wear the ties. To me though, they’ve been difficult to tie and a little uncomfortable and I wish I had modified the top so that they sit higher on my shoulders!

Thanks for checking out my dress! Have any of you made Butterick B5708?

For more pictures and info, here’s my post on my blog, Scavenger Hunt.

-Melissa

I'm a vintage-loving girl from California with an obsession with sewing, blogging, crafting, and thrifting!

MelissaO's posts / MelissaO's website

Sarah November 20, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I love the feather print!

Jessamyn November 20, 2013 at 3:37 pm

It’s very, very cute and you look beautiful in it, but I can see that the neckline might be aggravating to wear. If it were mine, I think I’d convert the straps to seams with decorative knots on top and add a very narrow drawstring to the top edge.

Also, the thing about sheets is that they tend to be so thin, even when lined – I’d consider a heavier flatlining or interlining next time, to give the bodice more structure. Or think about adding a little featherboning to help smooth out the torso and keep it up. That wonderful light-blue piping V detail is getting a bit lost.

But really you need do nothing unless you want to, because you look great.

foamofdays November 20, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Lovely dress, looks gorgeous on you! And i love your choice of fabric – simple but beautiful..

Snowma November 21, 2013 at 12:38 am

Delightful. Makes me miss summer : )

Hulagirl November 21, 2013 at 1:50 am

Beautiful dress, beautiful fabric, beautiful job. Also I just went and bought this pattern. I have never bought a sewing pattern in my life so I guess I was just waiting for the right one. I’m so excited! I hope they ship quickly!

mod girl November 22, 2013 at 1:39 am

It’s very nice. I love the style, the fabric, and the fact that the bows on the shoulders look like the feathers.

Lois November 23, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Thanks for your comments on the shoulder ties. I have this pattern & was about to make it- now I know that I need to modify the neckline & ties. Thanks again for the info.

AStroNaughty November 24, 2013 at 6:51 am

OH my god I had the exact same problem, the dress (which I made in a gorgeous crimson broadcloth) is now sitting in a pile of scraps waiting for d-day when I decide if I’ll fix it or if I’ll just let go and salvage the fabric. Yours came out way better than mine did though!

Jordan November 25, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I had the same problem with the shoulder ties. With the tying option you photographed (the one I chose to wear) the ties don’t sit right. I found that the halter option works better with these ties. Good job though, very summery!