Vintage Paisley Print Halter Neck Maxi Dress

This 1970s Maudella pattern (5800) was a joy to make.  The instructions were really straightforward and it took just one (rainy) afternoon to make up.

I did cheat with the fastenings, the cross-over straps are supposed to have buttonholes but I’m never made any before so I cheated and used press studs – but if my talented sewing friend has time off soon I ‘ll ask for a tutorial and finish it off properly.

The groovy paisley print 1960s fabric was given to me.

Happily, we had a warm day yesterday so I was able to wear it.

• Meet the Author • Vintage Vix

I'm Vix, a jumble sale-ing, car-booting, skip-diving, charity shopping, hedonistic hippy chick in love with life, India and vintage clothes. In my world getting dressed is always an adventure, never a chore. My style is Woodstock refugee meets Rolling Stones groupie with a bit of vintage Bollywood thrown in. I don't follow fashion and if I look ridiculous so what? Not being noticed and blending in with the crowd is my idea of hell. A day without dressing up is a day wasted.

• It’s really cool! Love the cross-over straps.

• A gorgeous dress! It is refreshing to see and inspiring to boot!

• Thanks, Adel! x

• Nice dress Vix ! purple and blue are my fav for paisly pattern !

• Mine, too! I was very excited to get given this fabric. x

• It seems to be a comfy style for holiday. I also love this maxi dress make me feel relax and untroubled. By the way, I would like to know if it is suitable for whom tall or short length.

• The dress pattern is quite long, but easy enough to adjust to your height if you’re a shortie like me! x

• Missy,you are an ‘it girl’ .thats a fact.XO

• You’re too kind! x

• Wow……………………. I have the same “hippie” sign !!!!! So cool !

• It confuses all our visitors, they never know which door to go to! x

• I’d be headin’ for the back door !!!!

• Beautiful dress and beautiful accessories. I like the blues, the really retro 60s look of the paisley and the line of the dress – it makes you look tall! I avoided learning to make buttonholes as long as I could, but a world of possibilities opened up when I finally did. You’re in for something good!

• Thank you! I will be brave, I’ve managed to find the buttonhole attachment at the church where my vintage sewing machine came from so I’ll sit down and teach myself! x

• Wow! That looks really nice. I am totally impressed! It’s beautiful. I like the color and the designs. I love maxi dresses and i love the halter neck design as well. You did a terrific job on that dress. Oh and those accessories are fabulous. Everything looks perfect. The dress, the bag, the accessories, awesome!

• Thanks so much, Gloria. I would recommend tracking down this pattern, it’s really straightforward! x

• I’d wear that in a heartbeat. Perfect for the summer, and it suits you so well!