Simplicity 2491

by Mermaids Purse

in 1950s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

Simplicity 2491

This gorgeous dress, Simplicity 2491, has been languishing in my project basket since last summer, I’m so glad to have put in the time this month to tackle the fitting and finishing problems that were bothering me.  Nothing major, just enough for me to need to take a break and find some instant sewing gratification.

It all worked out really well, I found a perfect vintage style petticoat at an op shop, just what I needed to pull off the look!  I had a hard time with the side zipper, working with the full skirt and join at the waist, I had trouble keeping it all even and neat.  Do any of you clever sewers have any suggestions, helpful tutorials for zippers?  I’m ace at installing invisible zippers, but have a tricky time with lapped (or over lapped?) zippers.  I hand picked this one, but it still isn’t perfect.  Love to hear from you all.

As always, more photos and details on my blog, Mermaids Purse.

Mermaids Purse's posts / Mermaids Purse's website

ksgentry October 15, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Love that dress, it fits you so perfectly! Well done.

Kate October 16, 2013 at 3:21 am

That is so very pretty and the fabric reminds me of something my grandma would wear (and that’s a good thing).

Saara October 16, 2013 at 6:58 am

Looks great! Does the pattern itself have that much “room” for the bust, or did you make an FBA? I usually have trouble with “the girls” being a bit too squished, but this dress seems perfect in that sense! :)

Mermaids Purse October 16, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Thanks Saara,

The pattern is actually a size smaller than I usually work with, so I had bit of a stress out, as with one of the earlier test fittings was too tight. I usually have to make a hollow bust adjustment, but had cut this fabric out before I understood my shape and fitting needs.

So, when approaching the dress second time, I actually let the lower bust darts out about 10mm, re-fitted, test fitted the skirt, then took the lower bust darts back in, and more than I let out! Which is probably why it seems to be a better fit?

Hope that all makes sense :)

Jennifer at My Sewing Suite October 16, 2013 at 10:22 am

I love the pattern and you did a fantastic job. I recently found several tutorials for zippers.
My favorite is;http://www.afashionablestitch.com/2010/sewing/prickstitching-lapped-zipper-tutorial/ she also has a free craftsy class on this.

Mermaids Purse October 16, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Great tutorial Jennifer at My Sewing Suite!

I have a zipper to replace just now, so I can try it out. Thank you.