Screen Star Pattern 865 with a Dash of Plaid

Hello fellow sewists! I recently finished this dress and the sudden drop in temperature here in the bay area means I should get some use out of it soon. I was  inspired by this post by Jill of Tea With the Vintage Baroness.

The pattern is Screen Star Pattern 865 from the New York Pattern Company and the envelope features actress Helen Mack

I changed the cuffs to french style and used matching fabric covered buttons

I do so love a big 'ol 30's collar. Its so huge I think this could pass as a Pilgrim costume for Thanksgiving.

The main fabric is a heavy rayon crepe purchased at Britex fabrics. Its difficult to find rayon crepes that are really heavy so when I saw this one I didn’t hesitate. The plaid collar, cuffs and mock pockets are made with a vintage feedsack I bought at the Alameda Flea Market.

‘Till later!

• Meet the Author • Snowma

Hi! I love to sew patterns from the 1920s-1940s. I try to use modern fabric to get authentic period results. I wear these pieces in my everyday life and am working on a completely me-made wardrobe.

• ohhh I love it! The 40’s are probably my favorite era (I think this is from the 4o’s anyway). You are very talented! I live in California as well, in a very…very small town called Arnold.

• Thanks! Looks like I’m just a little west of you in Cali.

• Forgot to sing in! That was me

• Well done! An amazing dress.

• Thank you!

• Oh by the way, I’d love to know exactly which rayon you were working with because I also have a hard time finding a good rayon fabric that drapes well.

• Hi Joanne. I purchased this Rayon at Britex about 8 mos ago and Im pretty sure it has since sold out. FYI their website does offer a swatching service where, for a fee, you can get several swatches sent to you based on your fabric needs. The fee can then be counted toward your purchase if you make one. They do have a selection of rayon crepes. I guess thats a bit of a pitch, I used to work there : ) Heavy dress weight rayons are waaaaaay too hard to find. I think their being offered less to home sewers these days and are being used more for the industry. Denver fabrics has a good selection too.

• That was me! Forgot to sign in.

• Love this dress – you’ve done an amazing job with it and it look superb!

xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

• Thanks Bonita!

• Oh dahling! Fabulously fabulous!

Seriously, you have done a brilliant job on this dress. Very well done!

• Daaaaahling! Thank you, youre too kind : )

• This is truly perfection! Beautiful, beautiful work.

• Thanks Datura!

• Amazing dress! Well done!

• Thank you Anthea!

• Beautiful dress!

• Thanks Claire!

• It’s gorgeous. I love the collar and cuffs.

• Thank you Camelia. A dash of plaid does wonders.

• Gorgeous! love the collar, the empire line effect, the cut of the skirt – all of it!

• Thanks so much Ruth!

• Gosh what a lovely dress, it is fab. Love the style, shape and collar. Might have a go at a large collar. Also the shoes are fab,.

• You wont regret it! I think big collars in the 30′s were like the power suits of the 80′s. It give you swagger!

• Love this! I’ve been watching movies from the 1930s lately on youtube and you look like you stepped off the screen. Makes me want to tackle a couple 30s patterns I have.

• Gee what a compliment! I encourage you to sew the 30’s.

• Stunning! Lovely details and I love your shoes!

• You did such an amazing job!! I LOVE fashions from the 30’s and 40’s. I have some vintage patterns but haven’t sewn them yet. This puts me in the mood. Thanks!

• This is so funny!! I just realized that the dress I am wearing in my picture here is a pattern I sewed that is from the 90’s-which actually counts a vintage now, I guess!! I like the comfort of a high waist dress for every day wear.

• Gorgeous dress, don’t seem to be able to get through the link to your website .. What is the address, would like to see more!

• Gorgeous. I love the drape and flow of the rayon, perfect for a 30’s pattern. It almost looks bias-cut.

• Wow! Stunning! I like the oversized collar!

• Absolutely stunning!!! Please post more of your work — it does look authentic and very inspiring!!! I just love it. I also live in California and try to dress vintage most of the days and learning to sew. Some day I also hope to have me-made wardrobe.