Green Vintage Dress

by thegoldencocoon on October 23, 2013 · 18 comments

in 1950s,Dresses

This is my first post on here!  I was so excited to find a site like this for all of us vintage sewing enthusiast.  I finally feel like I fit in!  I am the kind of person with zero patience and if I am going to sew myself something I want to wear it right away.  So I had this pattern for awhile but couldn’t think of any occasion to wear it.  Finally we were invited to our friends surprise birthday party and had the perfect occasion for this dress.  I wanted it to be green but had a hard time picking out the fabric.   I had decided on a linen kelly green by Robert Kaufman that I had ordered online.  It was a tad brighter then I had hopped for but I actually grew to really love the color.

This is the original pattern, but I changed the neckline into a v-neck because it just wasn’t fitting me right.

I took out my handy seam ripper and went to work.

Had I known that I was going to change the neckline I would have sewn it a lot differently.  But it turned out okay  (Its good to think of each project as a learning experience).  It fit great and we had a wonderful time.

This is me attempting to do what is called the “Cupid Dance”.  The whole time I thought that they were calling it the “Cuban Dance”.  My husband got quite a laugh watching me attempt this.

thegoldencocoon's posts / thegoldencocoon's website

Snowma October 23, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Wow! Great job, great fit. The color suits you so well. I’m a newbie and finding this community was exciting for me too.

Evie October 23, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Cute dress! Welcome!

pam October 23, 2013 at 8:58 pm

What a fantastic dress — and great color too!

novemberfoxtrot October 23, 2013 at 9:52 pm

cute cute cute!!!

is the dance the same as the stroll? (not the stroll like on Hairspray, all girls, almost the Electric slide)

Lazy Seamstress October 24, 2013 at 12:36 am

That really suits you, it looks fabulous. x

Camelia Crinoline October 24, 2013 at 1:36 am

It looks great. I really love the colour and the bow at the waist.

Konstanze October 24, 2013 at 4:31 am

Your dress is really beautiful! Love the little bow. :)

Vix October 24, 2013 at 7:43 am

What a fabulous dress, the colour is just lovely! x

Carolyn October 24, 2013 at 8:31 am

You look stunning! That neckline suits you very well, and I love how you moved the bow to the waist, it sets the whole thing off beautifully!

tanya maile October 24, 2013 at 8:45 am

Just lovely! I love the color!

Housewife Betty October 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

I love the color, too. It looks perfect with your hair and skin tone. Even with the neckline change, I think you got quite a good fit, and I really love the bow. What a timeless style!

Housewife Betty October 24, 2013 at 11:32 am

I forgot to welcome you, so welcome to the group!

thegoldencocoon October 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm

A big thank you, to everyone’s kind words and for giving me a very warm welcome! I was a tad nervous about posting on here because well all of you are way above my sewing abilities (I will get there one day!).
-novemberfoxtrot: Its different, it had like its own song for it (which apparently is on the radio, who knew!). I think when it comes to music and dancing I have more in common with someone in their 80′s (In fact my husband always jokes that I am an 80 year old lady trapped in a 26 year old body…I totally take that as a compliment!)

Sharon October 24, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Wow! That is a gorgeous dress and you look amazing in it! Great decision to change the neckline to a v neck I think. Somehow those high necklines only ever look good on the pattern envelope. Can’t wait to see what you make next :)

Teija October 25, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I love this on many levels, the color, the fit, the easy elegance, and the fact that you changed the neckline! You did a beautiful job and inspire me!!

thegoldencocoon October 26, 2013 at 10:54 am

Wow! Your words are so lovely and have brightened my day. Thank you so much.

PepperReed October 25, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Lovely! That color looks great on you. How was the linen to work with? I’m tempted to buy some of that RK linen, but tend to buy fabric in person. Welcome to the group; there’s so many great outfits and lots of stuff to learn from others.

thegoldencocoon October 26, 2013 at 10:46 am

I loved working with it! It was easy to cut and piece together, it also had some weight to it. The only problem with buying online is that the color might not be what it appeared on your computer screen. And linen wrinkles very easily! It was a good quality though, I will definitely buy it again.