Butterick B5748

by ThreadnButter

in 1950s,Dresses

A long-time lurker, I’ve finally decided to contribute something to the community. In fact, you all have inspired me to start my own blog!

B5748 is my second attempt at making a garment, and I’m quite proud of the results. I had a lot of trouble with adding the zipper and hemming the circle skirt. Does anyone have resources that would help me with future projects?

Front view

B5748: Green Gingham 50′s Dress

• Size: 6
  • Fabric: Sage green gingham fabric
  • Lining: Yes
  • Notions: Tiny black rosebud for neck detail, grey zipper
  • Adjustments: I chose to make the petite version of the bodice included in the pattern and I shortened the skirt.
  • Would I recommend it to other sewers? This pattern comes highly recommended by yours truly. I had only sewn one dress before and it was my first time sewing a zipper. The instructions are clear and the pattern is flattering.

Back view

More details on my blog: http://threadandbutterblog.com/

I am an amateur sewer with a passion for vintage inspired fashion.

ThreadnButter's posts / ThreadnButter's website

Housewife Betty October 31, 2013 at 4:33 pm

This turned out really cute! The bodice fits you really well, and the skirt hangs nicely. Zippers have always been tricky for me, and after years of sewing I still can’t get them to look that great. I would suggest reading every online tutorial you can before you do another one, and just keep practicing. I also might suggest putting a hook and eye at the top of your zipper. I have started doing this on all of my dress backs, and I think it helps to neaten the top of the zipper where it terminates. Excellent job!

ThreadnButter November 1, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Will definitely put hook and eye at the top from now on. My best store bought garments always have them.

Patrice October 31, 2013 at 4:37 pm

For your 2nd garment, it’s beautiful! The style is perfect for your figure. Resources for sewing…there is a huge amount of info on line; lots of bloggers have tutorials. Look at some of the blogs you see here on we sew retro. Also check out Gerties New Blog for Better Sewing. And Craftsy has tons of classes that are very well done, and not too expensive. You may find a sewing class at a fabric store, or an adult education program or community college. And definitely look on line for a local chapter of the American Sewing Guild.
Keep on sewin’!

ThreadnButter November 1, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Are you a member of the the American Sewing Guild? How do you like it? I’ve always been curious about it.

Anonymous November 1, 2013 at 11:54 pm

I love ASG. Chapters have smaller groups called Neighborhood Groups that meet monthly and have different focuses. I leave every meeting having learned something new. Check the ASG website for local chapter listings. I hope there is a chapter near you.

F. K. October 31, 2013 at 4:45 pm

This dress is so beautiful! Love the cute bow in the back. :)

ThreadnButter November 1, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Thank you! The bow is my favorite part of the whole dress. The pattern called for a bow in the front AND back, but I thought the one in the front dated the dress a little too much.

LadyxBec October 31, 2013 at 5:52 pm

That is super cute! I am not amazing at zips, but one thing I find very useful is using either a glue stick (a washable one!) or some fuisable fabric tape to stick the zip in first before I sew it. Maybe you could try that?

ThreadnButter November 1, 2013 at 12:03 pm

That’s a good idea. I’ll remember it for next time.

Marie October 31, 2013 at 6:35 pm

It’s beautiful! Well done, you should be very proud!

There’s a great tutorial by Colette on machine hemming a circle skirt – http://www.coletterie.com/tutorials-tips-tricks/tutorial-hemming-a-curved-edge-by-machine

ThreadnButter November 1, 2013 at 11:59 am

Yet another great technique. Thanks for the link. I went from never wanting to see a circle skirt again, to wanting to try all these methods.

Lauriana November 1, 2013 at 2:59 am

Wow, if that is only your second garment ever, it’s seriously impressive. The bodice fits well, the skirt looks good and neither zippers nor lining are generally considered to be easy for a beginner.

About hemming circle skirts: the huge flare of the skirt makes a normal hem virtually impossible. The quick and ease solution is to serge (or zigzag) the edge, press it in and stitch it down. A cleaner method (and the one I like to use because it also gives you the option of hemming by hand or using an invisible hem stitch on the sewing machine) is to apply store-bought bias tape to the edge, press that in and either sew it down normally by machine or invisibly by hand. For any method, keep in mind that most fabrics will stretch on the bias so it’s always wise to let your skirt hang for a couple of days before determining the hemline.

ThreadnButter November 1, 2013 at 11:55 am

Thanks! I think I like the bias tape idea the best. I’ll try that next time. I wish I had known that when hemming my halloween costume. I recently finished it and the skirts was a nuisance.

Venida November 1, 2013 at 6:09 am

Your dress is impressive,and fits you so we’ll. Before invisible zippers, I would sew the back together,then iron the seam flat then sew I zip, then remove stitches from tHe seam,my mother always sewed her zipper first while the pieces were flat. Before putting the garment together.Hope this helps. but yours is fantastic!

ThreadnButter November 1, 2013 at 11:53 am

Thanks for the advice! I’ll give that a try.