Autumn Apron, 50s Style

by brocadegoddess

in Vintage Sewing

I’ve sewn myself a couture wedding dress, I’ve sewn myself tailored jackets, I’ve handsewn an 18th century riding habit, I’ve sewn dresses and skirts galore, I’ve sewn super-complicated stuff, I’ve sewn simple stuff but I’d never sewn myself a little ol’ apron…..until the other week!  I’ve known I needed aprons for sometime, years in fact.  But it never seemed the right time.  Until Thanksgiving approached (I’m Canadian, so Thanksgiving was last weekend) and I knew the time had come!  My husband and I hosted my parents this year, which meant I spent a fair bit of time in the kitchen (of course so did my husband since this is 2013 – he wore an apron too, but not a fun one like mine).  I go a little bananas over fall colours, especially when it’s actually fall, and so I made an autumnal apron.

I chose pattern simplicity 4213, which I think is maybe……late 50s/early 60s?

Simplicity 4213a

I made view 1, but took the pocket from view 3 so I’d have lots of room in there.  Voila!

IMG_0102

The dress I’m wearing with the apron was also made this year for Thanksgiving.  And since it’s silk it gave extra impetus to making sure I had an apron to wear over it!  The dress will be the subject of my next post and is also made from a vintage pattern

IMG_0092

Yay big pocket!

I’m sure many of you already know making pretty aprons is fun, but I didn’t until I made this one.  Apart from one slightly *interesting* bit of construction (which I explain on my blog) this came together quickly and easily.  What a great payoff aprons are for the time they take!  I’m looking forward to making more (I have a couple more vintage apron patterns in the stash) and am thinking of making one for each season!

IMG_0122

Pop over to my blog for more photos and info!

brocadegoddess's posts / brocadegoddess's website

Evie October 20, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Cute apron (and dress)! I LOVE those shoes!!

Carolyn October 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Thanks Evie! And I LOVE these shoes too, I think they may be the most beautiful pair of shoes I own.

PepperReed October 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Awesome!! I’m in the midst of making one as well! Great job and I love the colors and you dress is beautiful as well!!

Carolyn October 20, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Thanks PepperReed! And hooray for aprons!

Deb October 20, 2013 at 11:51 pm

I love the whole mess! I just won some rather ridiculous novelty fabric on eBay yesterday that I’ll be turning into a retro apron. I hope it turns out as nice as yours! Can’t wait for your post about that stunning dress!

Carolyn October 21, 2013 at 9:29 am

That sounds like a lot of fun! I hope you’ll post your ridiculous novelty retro apron!

Sharon Pickles October 21, 2013 at 1:17 am

How pretty you look in your fall colours – love the dress/apron/tights n shoes combo!

Carolyn October 21, 2013 at 9:30 am

Thanks Sharon!

Lazy Seamstress October 21, 2013 at 2:13 am

I love the apron, and the whole outfit! I’m in need of a new apron, haven’t made myself one in a while and my favourite Emmeline apron is looking rather tired now. You have inspired me to make myself a new one.

Carolyn October 21, 2013 at 9:30 am

Hooray! Aprons for everyone!

Helen October 21, 2013 at 3:12 am

You look stunning – the colours, your hair, the apron, your shoes – the whole package, gorgeous!

Carolyn October 21, 2013 at 9:32 am

Thanks Helen! I do have a habit of being matchy-matchy. I’m trying to overcome it, but sometimes you just have to be you, lol.

vintageattempt October 21, 2013 at 7:30 am

I love the whole look, but I do have a question. Is the quilting cotton really enough to protect your lovely dress? I am really wanting to make an apron for more of daily usage and I wondering what fabric to use on it. Of course no apron can protect against massive disasters, but I was thinking about small grease splatters or something that might happen more commonly.

Carolyn October 21, 2013 at 9:37 am

Great question! If you’re worried about lots of grease splatters than maybe a heavier fabric like a cotton twill would be better. If you’re more worried about stuff that’s dusty (like flour) or just bits of things a quilting cotton should be fine. I think there could possibly be a difference between style of apron too: one that’s got a gathered skirt is not going to lay right against your clothes the same way a flat apron would, so maybe flat apron + heavier fabric and gathered apron + lighter fabric? Does that help any (or even make sense? lol)

vintageattempt October 21, 2013 at 9:48 am

Yeah, that makes sense. Those really gathered aprons I think of as being pretty but not as utilitarian, so I can see those being made in really light weight fabrics. Not that I don’t want to look pretty in my apron, I just want what ever is under it to stay looking pretty too.

Lise Neely October 21, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Your post is great inspiration – my mom has been asking me to make her an apron. I have a great vintage 1940′s tablecloth that is destined for this project – so thanks for getting me thinking about it. Great job!

Carolyn October 22, 2013 at 7:19 am

Oh Lise, I can’t think of anything more perfect to make an apron from than a vintage tablecloth (if it’s not still being used as a tablecloth, lol). I hope you’ll post it when it’s done!