Collars’n’cuffs

How nice it is to finish projects – especially those which are so simple and leave you feeling like an expert!

This sewing project was an aim to get back to the simpleness of sewing and 60s design. A shift dress with contrasting collar and cuffs. No fussy bows or ruffles, just plain, simple and easy.

Something reminiscent of the mid-60s. A simple silhouette which suited many, and which was so different to the dresses of the previous years. A Peter Pan collar to recall the clothing of their childhood and cuffs to balance.
After recent stressful occurrences in my life, doing something so basic is refreshing. Being able to be in control of something and knowing exactly how it will look in the end is awesome!

Especially when sewing with Double knit, oh double knit, how I love thee! Let me count the ways! Its comfy to wear, forgives small mistakes and has a nice amount of stretch. (unlike the now un-trust worthy Lurex…)

However – there cannot be blue sky without rain. Everything was going along swimmingly until the hem where my machine kept skipping stitches, I’m not sure why that was. I changed the needle, checked the tension, re-threaded the machine and yet it still skipped. When I made a test on some cotton fabric it was fine. I’ll most likely unpick the machine stitches and hand-hem it later on.

Why must you forsake me machine!!!
The pattern I used was Butterick 4772 – I drafted the collar and cuffs, though now that I look at it, I should have tried to balance the width of the collar and cuffs a bit better.

The cuffs are fairly simple, though I didn’t put them on the way I should have. Why not you might ask, well it may be because I’d had a few wines before leaving work that day….

Here’s a tip – sewing while drunk/tipsy is not a good idea. It makes you lazy

They look okay though!
I’m going to have many a fun times wearing this dress I think. Sensible enough for work and dressy enough for a night out.
Cat xo

• Meet the Author • Sewingthe60s

60s lover from Sydney, Australia with a sewing machine and endless amounts of creative motivation

• This is such a cool dress.

• Very cute! I love a peter pan collar.

• I remember these dresses from the middle sixties; they were demure on top, but very short in the hem for us younger girls. My mom’s generation wore them too, but just above the knee. It might seem a bit much, but women sometimes wore white pantyhose with a dress like this. Your dress looks really good on you!

• Oh i love hearing stories! I do have the white pantyhose, but i didnt wear them for the photo which was silly of me!
      Thanks! :)

• For ages I have been wanting to sew a dress like this but for some reason it gets pushed back on my sewing list. It is so flattering, fun, and timeless. You really rock the 60’s look my dear. Very cute, and very well sewn!

• i know what you mean! I needed a new dress for work so that sort of helped motivate me

• Very cool mod dress. I like the color combo, simple but stylish.

• You look amazing in this style of dress.

• Double knit fabrics will do that, dropping stitches all over the place if you try to sew with a universal needle. Even ‘ballpoint’ needles don’t necessarily do the trick as they seem to be more for finer jersey fabrics. Have you tried a ‘stretch’ needle? I’ve found that works a treat with double-knit.

• I just bought some schmetz stretch needles yesterday – hopefully they’ll work when i try the hem again – fingers crossed! :)

• May I ask what sort of fabric you used for the collar and cuffs? Is it just white cotton, or did you use double knit for them as well? This is such a lovely, classic dress. It looks great on you!

• Hi! sorry for taking along time to reply – i just used plain cotton for the collar and cuffs and interfaced them as well :)

Thanks Datura!

• Love it. This is just like the Yves St. Laurent dress worn by Catherine Deneuve in Belle du Jour. it was one of YSL’s econic styles. The 60’s fashions are my favorites of all decades. You did a fab job!!!

• Thanks! I do love YSL – I cant wait to see the film!

• This is a great dress. I love the collar and cuffs.

• I love this style and it suits you wondefully. Makes you want a full closet of little dresses!