Yellow Sun Dress- Just in Time for Autumn

by Freya May

in 1980s,Dresses,Vintage Sewing

So I’m working on a couple of WIP that I let fall by the wayside over the summer and have finally finished a sun dress I cut out months ago!

I used a vintage curtain I found in a charity shop about a year ago to make this dress- I loved the fabric so much so I wanted to wait until I’d decided on the perfect thing to make with it.  I’m glad I did because I really love this dress.  I’m pleased with its finish, I’ve only just learnt to bind the inside hems and love how it looks!

The bodice is made from Simplicity 4070, and the skirt is a rectangle piece I played around with until I got the pleats right.

It’s a totally shame I have to put this away until next spring/summer, but it really is just too cold to wear right now!

For more photos and construction info, check out my blog – The Dressmaking Diaries

I've been sewing for a couple of years, experimenting with different styles and techniques. I love fifties and sixties styles, home decorating and cycling!

Freya May's posts / Freya May's website

LucyLovesYa September 18, 2013 at 5:36 am

Lovely! So many retro pieces of fabric are wasted so this is really nice to see x

Rachel September 18, 2013 at 6:56 am

That is beautiful! And I feel your pain… I still want to sew summer things, too, even as is it here bundled in a blanket! You could maybe wear that into fall this a cardigan, leggings, and boots.

Carolyn September 18, 2013 at 7:26 am

This is such a pretty dress and the colours are lovely on you! I also think they are good colours for this transitional time. I think you could easily make this work for early fall. You could try pairing it with a shrug/cardigan in brown, mustard or something like that, add tights, a slip, and fall shoes/boots and bingo!

LittleBlackCar September 18, 2013 at 8:55 am

Wow, nice fitting job!

Could you wear it with stockings and a jacket? Seems a shame to pack it up already.

Jenni September 18, 2013 at 8:55 am

Wear with a co-ordinating tee underneath and tights as the colours are really autumnal x

Siri Andersen September 18, 2013 at 7:46 pm

What a cute dress! The inside looks amazing, just as the outside of course ;)
Well done indeed!