The 1969 Bell-Bottomed Pants Suit

I was lucky enough to find 6 yards of this psychedelic acetate in a charity shop on the same day I found the 1969  Simplicity pattern and according to the instructions, exactly the correct amount of fabric required for View 2 – my favourite outfit!

Although too big I had a dressmaking friend on hand to talk me through sizing it down.

It was surprisingly easy to make,  I managed to finish it in an afternoon.

The Bakelite buttons were salvaged from a 1940s tea dress which had disintegrated over time.

I couldn’t resist recreating the hairstyle on the envelope, I think that bit was trickier than making the outfit!

• Meet the Author • Vintage Vix

I'm Vix, a jumble sale-ing, car-booting, skip-diving, charity shopping, hedonistic hippy chick in love with life, India and vintage clothes. In my world getting dressed is always an adventure, never a chore. My style is Woodstock refugee meets Rolling Stones groupie with a bit of vintage Bollywood thrown in. I don't follow fashion and if I look ridiculous so what? Not being noticed and blending in with the crowd is my idea of hell. A day without dressing up is a day wasted.

• The fabric is an exact match for this design. Looks fabulous!

• Very fun outfit, love the hairstyle too!

• Glad you liked it! x

• Absolutely love it – fun fun fun x

• Thanks, Karon! x

• Funkylicious ;)

• Absolutely fantastic! And I love that you copied the hair too. Perfect x

• Thanks, Laura! x

• omg Vix this is the best! and your hair-do just completes it perfectly! I love to stare at pattern envelopes for ages. The hair, the outfit the accessories all make me wish i could recreate that exact look, and you’ve done it!

• Thanks, Catherine! I could paper a room with pattern envelopes, they’re a work of art! x

• It’s like you stepped right off the pattern cover! Love it!

• Yay! Thanks! x

• Oh WOW Vix! This is so fun! Serendipity how everything showed up at the right time for you. I love it! Great hair too.

• Thanks, Sue! I usually have to wait ages for the right fabric to turn up cheaply enough, luck was definitely on my side this time. x

• I LOVE this (and everything you make, really). The hairstyle is perfect, too!

• You’re very kind, thanks! x

• I finally visited your website. Wow – you are having fun in life! This colorful and beautiful outfit is another gem in your wardrobe treasure chest. Thanks for showing and telling!!

• Thanks for visiting, Francie! x

• I LOVE it. Even though I look pregnant (not a good thing, at 50+) in Empire waists, and think acetate is an offense against God, comfort, and the environment, and one of the worst things to come out of that era (um, yeah, prejudices, I haz them) . . . . it’s absolutely gorgeous. I want one . . . in that print in a natural fiber.
    And your hair is perfect. Not just for the outfit; it’s a genuinely cute style on the right person.

• Bit by bit I’ll convert everyone to loving psychedelia! So glad you liked the outfit! x

• Oh, wow. This is amazing – I can’t say I love the fabric or the pattern, but what you put together is just gorgeous and so true to year. :) The hair makes it just that much better. I’m so impressed. :)

Erin