I have been on a bit of a republished vintage pattern spree recently! I bought a bunch of them on sale a while back and have been working my way through them recently including this particular one Retro Butterick B5209.
I chose this fabric on account of the distinctly 1940s feel it has as I felt it complemented the style of the dress. Red and burgundy are not part of my usual colour palette and I do think this would be a lot better suited to a slightly darker skin tone but sometimes it’s nice to step outside of one’s comfort zone and wear something a bit different! I also think it’s a good colour palette for early autumn, nice and rich and would look good with a cardigan and over stockings.
The dress itself is rated as an easy pattern and it really, really is! It would be perfect for a beginner, great instructions and nothing more challenging than popping in a zip. I didn’t do much to change the pattern on the toile- I reduced the sleeves a little to compensate for the way in which my square shoulders jut this style out a bit dramatically and I was in-between sizes so I sized up and reduced the waist. Apparently I wasn’t zealous enough and the finished dress was still a little baggy around the middle but rather than unpick and take it in I decided to whip up a narrow little self-covered belt instead. I am actually quite pleased about this outcome as I really love little self- covered belts.
Thanks for reading and if you have the time please pop over to my sewing blog for a fuller review and more pictures.