I am new to posting on we sew retro, but have loved following the creations this past year. I am also new to sewing for myself, having made mostly historical costumes for doing paintings of in the past. This dress is a combination of two patterns, plus some modifications, which is why I call it a franken-dress. I used Advance pattern 2527 and McCalls 9121. The Advance is from the forties, and the McCalls is from the 50’s.
All the materials are vintage, the fabric is from the late 30s-early 40’s. There were only three yards of fabric, which made it difficult to match seams. I had problems with the bust darts, and would probably just use a princess seam next time. The piping was a first, and also difficult. I ordered a piping foot, but it did not work for top sewing, so a zipper foot was used.