Decision help, please!

Hello everyone!

I’ve been working on a sweater recently and am at a point where I need to make a style/color decision. I’m having a hard time figuring out what I want to do, so I’d like to hear your opinions. The pattern is from 1951, and this is the photo from the original magazine.

Lacy Jumper 1951 Vintage Sweater

I only had one skein of yarn for this whole project (it wasn’t originally intended for this purpose), so I don’t have enough to finish the collar and cuffs. So now we come to my question. I have just enough to finish the sleeves and neck with a simple crochet edge….OR, I could use a different color yarn to make a contrasting collar and cuffs. I was thinking something in the white/cream family.

1951 knitted lace sweaterSo, should I leave it plain or make the contrasting pieces (and if so what color)?

Thanks!

Evie

*More project notes and photos here.

• Meet the Author • Evie

I'm a spanish teaching, classic movie loving, fabric hoarding, yarn coveting, chicken keeping bibliophile, and mother to a beautiful, wild little boy, with too many projects and nowhere near enough time to finish them all. Sewing and knitting are what help keep me sane.

• I think it looks more classy the way it is, I would (personally) finish it with a crochet edge. That way you could add a necklace, such as a pearl one and it would stand out and add to the neckline. I think the collar makes it look a little for the older person..just my thought. Great Job no matter what way you go, love the colour.

• I think you should keep it all one color too, but I love the collar. It’s very on trend right now. I like your white/cream idea, but I could wear that lovely sweater in about a dozen colors!

• I love it the way it looks. I have never learned to knit but now I wonder if I should. One skein and you created a beautiful sweater. I would just finish the neckline and sleeves using a simple stitch. But of course, that is just my opinion.

• I think it looks pretty darn good now. Maybe wear it a few times like this (I love those old textured knitting patterns–lovely), then you can always add a collar/cuffs later?

• Leave it plain. I think that it looks much classier this way, and while it’s unfortunate to lose that collar and the cuffs, it’s still a lovely sweater.

• It’s beautiful just the way it is. I would leave it all one color for a classy look.

• Thanks for all of the input everyone! I was kind of leaning towards leaving it plain, but just wasn’t sure about it.

• It looks absolutely gorgeous the way it is :-)

• I agree, keep the collar off. Its lovely BTW

• Having read the comments…. No collar seems to be winning! I actually like the collar and cuffs, they give it a nice finish. They also give it more of a retro feel. Depends what you want? Is it knitted in a grey, green, teal colour? Navy blue would stand out nice?

• I like the plain look, with same-color crochet, or without. Beautiful work!

• Lovely work – how about you finish it off with the plain crochet and look to accessories to give that real vintage feel?

• I agree with the simple crochet edge.
    I’d rather put the collar on, myself, it finishes the blouse nicely, but *only* if I could do it in the same color. I always think differently-colored collar and cuffs (especially on a sweather) are quite a “sporty” style (think, polo shirt) and that lace pattern, to my eye, puts your sweater in the “dressy” category.

• I think it looks beautiful the way it is. But… if it’s a period look you’re going for I’d say add the white/cream collar and cuffs. White details like that were the height of fashion for much of the 1940’s and 1950’s. Mostly in the shape of detachable collars and cuffs on dresses and blouses.
    Whichever you decide to do,I’m sure it will look lovely.

• I am impressed with fabulous stunning dress the last two dresses is wonderful. I am also impressed with your Work and Information on this topic.